Subject: UGH!@# my `as' is bad.

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)

Please help,

[note: there are more easier questions below this one.]

I have been trying for a day now to get as to assemble anything.  Its
operation is very flakey, I can't setup a situtation that makes it
fail.

What I can do is tell what happens:

% gcc -S temp.c
% as -o temp.o temp.s
[some error about no case value or bad case value....]

or sometimes `as' will generate an object file but it does not
set the N_EXT bit for the `_main' symbol and so I get a
[crt0.o reference to unknown symbol _main...]

I can run it multiple time sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't
I don't change anything (hit up arrow hit return repeat)

What could be wrong?  I am running vmunix.644, I tried putting
vmunix.644 onto my `/'  I tried using the one that was there,
I tried importing the one from `/' to the amiga and using it.

here is my amiga config:
PROCESSOR:      CPU 68030/68882fpu/68030mmu
CUSTOM CHIPS:   ECS NTSC Agnus (id=$0030), ECS Denise (id=$00fc)
VERS:   Kickstart version 37.175, Exec version 37.132, Disk version 38.35
RAM:    Node type $a, Attributes $5 (FAST), at $200000-$97ffff (7.5 meg)
        Node type $a, Attributes $303 (CHIP), at $400-$fffff (~1.0 meg)
BOARDS:
 Board + ROM (HD?) (unidentified):   Prod=2017/11($7e1/$b) (@$e90000 64K)
 Board + ROM (HD?) (unidentified):   Prod=2017/2($7e1/$2) (@$ea0000 64K)

I can boot from V34 V37 and V40 of kickstart.

-----------------

Will NetBSD work with the GVP series 1 controller? it uses
the WD339C?? same # as the A3000 but without the last `A'

I have a GVP series II but for reasons beyond this letter
I would rather use the series I controller (the series II
has big DMA problems not to metion it is on an accelerator
that is slower than the one sitting next to it on my desk :^)

-----------------

How hard will it be to get NetBSD to use my A2024 in 1024x800 mode?
what is involved?  Do I need to learn how to write copper lists?

-----------------

And most importantly, why can I not build the kernel?  I am lacking
only `symorder' and `strip' (I cannot find them anywhere.)

I get it compiled all the way to link and it does indeed link also,
but it says that the file is not correct when I try `loadbsd' it
I am using gcc 2.4.5 from aminet with all updates (this was built
on top of 2.3.3 which I also downloaded to make sure everything
was there.)

My total build environment consists of:
gcc 2.3.3 (with libfix) -->|
gcc 2.4.5 <----------------|
textutils-1.4
fileutils-3.3
pdksh92??? didn't need this the usr:bin/sh worked.

----------------

I have 640M of hard drive space and lots of coding experiance, I am
also a Commercial Amiga developer.  I want badly to help port stuff
(like 2024 mode if nec. and then X windows or floppy or scsi or whatever.)

Please help me get my system and more importantly my compiler working
so that I can actively contribute to the NetBSD project.

Thanks.
Chris...

------------------------
Emacs---the catholicon for text editing?

The Royal Oak Chophouse >> Christian E. Hopps
Royal Oak, Michigan     >> sycom.mi.org!ro-chp!chopps

---

From: [email-masked] (Christian E. Hopps)

Chris,      [regarding <[email-masked]> on Oct 12]

> I have been trying for a day now to get as to assemble anything.  Its
[ problems deleted ]

Well I managed to get gas-2.1.1 ported (by compiling to .s in bsd and then
exporting to amiga to `as' and then back to bsd to `ld') and everything
is assembling fine it seems...

If anyone is interested and I can try and actually get gas to pass
the testsuite (need to find program called `runtest').  And then
pass out the binary.  (I would rather not do all this but... see below)

> the WD339C?? same # as the A3000 but without the last `A'
[still looking for an answer to this.]

> what is involved?  Do I need to learn how to write copper lists?

I looked at the source for grf_cc it seems that a new device is needed
I am gathering my own thoughts on how to implement this but probably
more object oriented. ie.

 o blitting copper layer - call it `monitor'  this layer will handle
                           all the current view's low-level work.
                           and hopefully provide a standard interface
                           to screens.
 o screen layer - these would corispond to devices I think
                  similar to tty's and then we can all have
                  our friendly screens back. (front-back flipping)
 o console layer - console drivers could then be made to work with
                   the screen layers.  no more copper list swapping
                   of lines I think.  It sure is fast but inappropriate
                   when multiple display modes are going to be manipulated.

I think this approach will also help port other graphic applications
like X...

> only `symorder' and `strip' (I cannot find them anywhere.)

I can build the kernel now. :^) ("so thats what ld.bsd was all about...")

> I have 640M of hard drive space...
still do. :^)

I have another question now regarding emacs.  I keep getting trap errors
after running emacs for maybe 20 seconds to 3 minutes as root.  As
chopps I can't load emacs normally, sometimes it loads but Segment Violations
soon come.  Is there something obvious I can do to fix this?  Or does
it require deeper investigation?  (vi for now...)

Thanks.
Chris...

------------------------
The Royal Oak Chophouse >> Chris Hopps
Royal Oak, Michigan     >> sycom.mi.org!ro-chp!chopps