Subject: Bad Email addresses

From: Bill Squier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1993 22:23:42 -0400

>From:	Alan Bair <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Bill Squier - PLEASE READ
>
>Bill,
>
>You may want to contact the site listed below, since there seems to be a
>problem in getting Email to you through it. This is several hops downstream
>from my site and I replied to your Email in the same manner as all the other
>Email. So I don't see much I can do at this end.
>
>Forwarded message:
>> From [email-masked] Sat Oct  2 23:40:31 1993
>> From: [email-masked]
>> [...] etc.

I have tons of trouble with that site replying to people on this list as well.
I'm not sure, but I believe I also get bounces from the listserver should be
getting.  I'm pretty sure that that sort of behaviour isn't to be expected.

I have a feeling that the list server is spitting addresses to members of 
the list that aren't quite ARPA standard, so when our mailers try to parse
a return address, it gets a little mangled a few hops away.

Is cbmuucp a gateway between the Internet and a UUCP feed, or is it
strictly a UUCP operation?  They should probably check their subscription
list to see what style addresses have leaked in there.

That AT&T site looks to be some sort of UUCP gateway too, and we all know
that UUCP and ARPA addresses are not the most cooperative when translating...

Sigh, I'll drop them a note.

-wps