Subject: Re: vmunix.644

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)

On Oct 16,  5:13pm, William E. Costello wrote:
> 1) does it work?

  I can't speak for the kernel off eunet, but the 644 kernel I compiled works
fine.  I would assume that the eunet kernel is working for most people.

> 2) in the 613 kernel, I had no problems with letting
>    my quantum drive go into syncronous mode, but with
>    the 644 kernel, it just hangs when it tries that.

  I would guess that the scsi code has changed between 613 and 644, but I
haven't kept track of it.  I did notice that on 644 (which is only kernel
I've done much with while using my GVP controller) that my Maxtor XT8380S
drive needed the sync mode inhibited before it would work.  However, when I
added a Maxtor 7345S drive along with the XT8380S, then the XT8380S seemed
to work in synchronous mode.

> 3) after fixing the kernel so my quantum drive didn't
>    try to go into sync-mode,  It asks for the root
>    device, and nothing I give it seems to work.

  This sound like you are running the old loadbsd which doesn't pass the
boothowto flag to the NetBSD kernel.  The 644 kernel expected the boothowto
flag to be intialized by loadbsd.  The code that processes the the input data
when asking for the root device is incorrect and won't ever accept what is
typed in.

Michael
-- 

-- 
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  [email-masked]
Computer Consultant			BITNET:  [email-masked]
Office of Systems and Computing Services
Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA