Subject: display problems when telnetting.

From: Arthur Hoffmann <[email-masked]>

Hi, I have a little problem here,
whenever I use telnet from my NetBSD machine to log into my Uni
account I get this awfully small screen, it is only 24 lines long
using emacs and elm. Getting ls and stuff works ok, but less and more
seem to be unusable, because they start from the middle of the screen
and don't clear before they place their output. Also the last few
lines just sit there and don't seem to be used. I did set the remote
TERM variable to several terminals, but it didn't change a thing.

Any suggestions?

Btw trsh doesn't have those problems, neither has irc nor ncftp.

Also I noticed that the fix that Markus Wild sent for the ite.c causes
my cursor keys not to work in emacs anymore (locally that is, haven't
tested it on emacs on the remote machine). The keymaps in
/usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/stand/loadkbd don't work either.

Thanks for any help.

Arthur.

					Arthur Hoffmann
					[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "display problems when telnetting." (Oct 21, 11:33pm)

On Oct 21, 11:33pm, Arthur Hoffmann wrote:
> Subject: display problems when telnetting.

 Try a 'resize' after setting the TERM varible ?
 I had no problems with it, but then again, i don't use emacs ;)

-- 
Markus Illenseer

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Wild)

> using emacs and elm. Getting ls and stuff works ok, but less and more

telnet doesn't usually transfer window-information correctly (that is,
the size of your current window). Use rlogin, if you want to make sure
you don't get that problem. If that's not possible, do

  stty rows RO columns CL

with RO and CL number of rows / columns, respectively. For example, if you
work in a 50x80 xterm, you'd do "stty rows 50 columns 80".

> tested it on emacs on the remote machine). The keymaps in

What TERM are you using? Try setting it to TERM=vt320, it worked for
me.. If that doesn't work, try doing "<esc>x" "enable-arrow-keys" in
emacs, sometimes this is needed. For your information, I'm using
the termcap file distributed with emacs, not the original BSD one, so if
you can't get it working, you might try exchanging termcap's.

> /usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/stand/loadkbd don't work either.

What did you try? Check out the directory, there should be some files
that are exactly 1024 bytes long, one should be a din keymap. I don't remember
the exact name, but assuming it's called dinkmap, do

  loadkmap -s dinkmap

you probably have to compile loadkmap first before being able to try this.
Remember that lalt-lamiga-f1 resets your keymap to us-ascii if something
should go wrong when loading a new keymap.

-Markus
-- 
CHUUG/EUnet Switzerland				Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35	Tel: +41 1 291 45 80	[email-masked]
CH-8004 Zuerich		Fax: +41 1 291 46 42	S=mw;P=EUnet;A=EUnet;C=CH