Subject: term, gcc; problems

From: "Russ Miranda - Amiga Specialist" <[email-masked]>

Hi everyone,
  I've gotten NetBSD-Amiga up and running, and I'm in the process of figuring out all the wonderful things that NetBSD sys-admins must know. I have run into the following problems with term and gcc:

term:
   Let me first explain how I start up term. I use kermit (set line /dev/tty01, and a few other sets, a dial, a connect) to connect to my university's terminal server, which immediately connects me to one of the Ultrix running DECStation 2100s. I start term on the remote end, and suspend kermit, then I run term. Here's the problem. I can't start term the normal way. When I try:

> term -f/dev/tty01

I cannot get my end to send anything to the other side no matter what I do. Curious, I echoed some things to /dev/tty01, and sure enough, those went over fine. So, knowing how odd these things can be, I tried:

> term </dev/tty01 | cat >/dev/tty01

redirecting the output of term through cat, and then out to the modem
worked fine. It introduces an extra level of bouncing characters
around I'd like to get rid of, though. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Second, I cannot get tredir to work for redirecting telnets TO my
machine. i.e., if I run tredir on the remote machine as "tredir 5000
23" I would expect people who telnet to port 5000 would instead get my
telnet port. Instead everything locks up until the attempt times out
(other term clients can't send/receive). The binary on the Ultrix side
is OK because I share the binary with a friend who uses it with his
Linux box just fine. The binary on the NetBSD side is as I got it from
ftp.eunet.ch

gcc:
   Well, tredir works in the other direction (I can redirect things TO
the remote machine) so I figured I'd get tin on my local machine, and
then redirect the nntp port to my school's NNTP server. I grabbed the
tin source, and looked it over, and it looked good. I did "make bsd"
and it compiled a long way with no problem. BUT, when compiling the
main.c file, it gets the following:

 === cut here ===

Script started on Mon Oct 11 23:40:26 1993
Mon Oct 11 23:40:27 GMT 1993
amigaman@caffeine/proj> cd tin-1.20
amigaman@caffeine/proj/tin-1.20> make bsd
"Makefile", line 399: warning: Shell command needs a leading tab
Compiling tin v1.20 for BSD/Dec/DG/NeXT/Sun...
"Makefile", line 399: warning: Shell command needs a leading tab
gcc -c -O -DNNTP_ONLY -DNNTP_INEWS -DNNTP_SERVER_FILE=\"/usr/local/news/tinserver\" -DBSD -DNNTP_INEWS_GATEWAY=\"\" -DNNTP_INEWS_DOMAIN=\"esu.edu\" -DLIBDIR=\"\" -DSPOOLDIR=\"\" main.c
In file included from tin.h:47, from main.c:15:
/usr/include/sys/param.h:40: warning: `BSD' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
amigaman@caffeine/proj/tin-1.20> exit

Script done on Mon Oct 11 23:41:15 1993

 === cut here ===

On the console, I get "trapsignal(236, 11, 8, 8, 10aac)" and it
proceeds to dump a 3+Mb core file.

I'm taking a real primitive compiler construction class now, and from
what I have been told, if mine dumps core, I fail. ;) Is there a fix
for this?

)Russ //
)   \X/ [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (T. Caster)

>
>term:
>   Let me first explain how I start up term. I use kermit (set line /dev/tty01, and a few other sets, a dial, a connect) to connect to my university's terminal server, which immediately connects me to one of the Ultrix running DECStation 2100s. I start t

Need some returns in there???  Anyway... on to term stuff

First don't use tty01!  Use the exact command that was given in the
amiga bsd port of term.  I don't have the cmd handy but it's like:

term -n <dev/tty00 >dev/tty00

or something similar.  I've been using this setup for some time w/
no problems.  i don't even chg the tty for kermit, jsut set line to
tty00.  I've had people telnet in w/ tredir, i also have term- whois,
finger, ircII and ncftp all working fine also. - TC

--

        Techno Caster  -  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (T. Caster)

Oops, quote didn't work...

Anyway, the sources for the other term progs can be found off
many systems (besides, I'm being lazy) one for inst:

blackplague.gmu.edu

They have all ya need.  None but ircII needs porting (that I'm
aware of).  And w/ irc there's 2-3 fixes i did.
one -  in term.c i had to #define __386BSD__ so as to include
	a couple of things.  (chk this tho..)
two -  in scandir.c I had to chg a #ifdef to ifndef for
	defining a portion as  NeXT to have another incl.
	It was a prob in dirent.h
3 -	This i never fix, just commented it out.  But it too
	was in scandir.c.  That was some sort routine near the
	the end of the file.

Everything works so far w/ irc.  Those fixes are crude, but I'm
a crude hacker.  (Mostly cuz i know little about OS hacking that
is going on, and have very little C experience)  But, I'm pround
to say atleast i got it to work! - TC

--