Subject: AmigaOS under NetBSD - discussion

From: William J. Coldwell <[email-masked]>

Since the list has been slow, how about tossing around this..

What does it take to get Amiga OS running as a BSD task?

* Since the AmigaOS inherently does not touch the MMU, this is a good thing.

* AmigaOS does use CacheClearX(), which is not a good thing (and would have to  
be patched.

* The MMU would need to have tables to handle the Amiga (chip RAM, custom  
chips)

* Interrupt service routines of Exec would have to be patched...

* disk drive support would be .. uh "amusing".. hmm hidden DMA is going to be  
fun.

* Would need a way of telling the hardware resource that the serial port  
is/isn't in use.  This probably means the ports would be difficult.

* ZorroX cards.. differentiating between BSD use and Amiga use would prove fun.

* Screen support would prove interesting, since the Amiga wants to "own" the  
display, so maybe some wedge to have like F10 switch.  That sounds real messy.

I would suspect the easiest thing to try to do would be to do a 512k CHIP Amiga  
with no ports and no card support.

Just food for thought.
Bill