Subject: Re: Linux

From: [email-masked] (Markus Wild)

> Can anyone compare NetBSD and Linux/68K for me?  I'm wondering
> which one I should put on my Amiga (030 25MHz w/MMU, plenty ram&HD).

plenty of RAM&HD sounds like a candidate for BSD to me :-) Anyway,
Hamish will sure fill you in why you should try Linux instead:-)
One thing I don't think Linux has yet is an ethernet driver for
the 2065 board, so if you want to network your system, you'll have
to go BSD for now.

>     - which one is more robust and bug-free

I've been running BSD for quite a bit of time now, and really didn't
have a kernel panic for weeks. 
I'm right now working on a new version of the kernel, with the sources
updated to NetBSD-current. Hey, I've been running my first (statically
linked so far) SunOS-binary (hello-world) :-)

>     - how much HD and RAM is needed for each

BSD: I'd say don't start below 8M RAM, 4M *might* work. HD: >= 100M
for binaries only, double if you want to keep sources as well. 
Note: we're very close to having dynamic SunOS-style shared libraries
(with the emulator, perhaps in the beginning not only -"style"
but real :-)).

> I prefer Linux, but it seems like there's a lot more help floating
> around for bsd.

There's quite a bit of mail going on on the Linux mailing list (with
similar "hickup" style volume peaks as on this list), Hamish will
certainly tell you how to subscribe.

-Markus
-- 
CHUUG/EUnet Switzerland				Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35	Tel: +41 1 291 45 80	[email-masked]
CH-8004 Zuerich		Fax: +41 1 291 46 42	S=mw;P=EUnet;A=EUnet;C=CH