Subject: Re: Problems booting NetBSD

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 11:15:52 -0600

On Oct 14, 12:03pm, Gordon Hundley - CIX Staff wrote:
...
> root device? sd6a
> bad/missing unit number

  I think this is caused by using an old version of loadbsd that is not
compatible with the newer kernels.  The old loadbsd did not pass the
"boothowto" information to the kernel.  [It also looks like there is a
bug in the code that is asking for the root device:  it is using *cp to
check the unit number, but cp has never been initialized.]  I think a
current version of loadbsd should be on eunet in
software/os/bsd/NetBSD/NetBSD-Amiga/bin.

> The only clue I have is that it may have something to do with the
> loadbsd software. It comes up with a warning saying that it is looking
> for version 46 of the ixemul.library and I could only find 45 out there
> on the net. The files I found using archie which purported to be version
> 47 revealed themselves as having a version 24 number in them despite the
> recent build date. They cause a bus error anyway.

  The revision 45 (not version - the version should be 39) works just fine.

> Any of you kernel gurus able to debug the above or just _know_ whats
> wrong? Anybody know where I get ixemul.library version 39.46?

  Version 39.47 if ixemul.library appears to be on aminet:
ixemul.library.39.47 dev/gcc     78K+Version 39.47 of the ixemul.library from g

Michael

-- 
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  [email-masked]
Computer Consultant			BITNET:  [email-masked]
Office of Systems and Computing Services
Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA

---

From: Gordon Hundley - CIX Staff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 93 18:59 GMT0BST-1

> compatible with the newer kernels.  The old loadbsd did not pass the

This turns out to be the case. Thanks (and to everybody else who mailed
too). When the message didn't echo back to me, I mailed to netbsd-amiga
too, so I've probably sent two copies onto this list. Many apologies to
all.

> ixemul.library.39.47 dev/gcc     78K+Version 39.47 of the ixemul.library from g

Okay, thanks again - I will go looking for this once more.

Is this list archived anywhere?

Gordon.

---

From: David Jones <[email-masked]>

> Is it possible to make this bit more intelligent and have it fail over to
> async if it receivies this error when trying to setup sync SCSI ?
> 
> darren

The problem is the disgrosstipating WD3393 PROTO chip.  If a SCSI operation
fails, one outcome is that the SCSI bus locks, with DMA and SCSI phase
in unknown state.  There could be a watchdog timer (but ugly for tapes,
etc.) but even so, recovery from all situations is ugly.

-- 
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
email: [email-masked], finger for more info