Subject: Re: XWindow



On Oct 8, 11:54am, olivier lahaye wrote:
> Subject: XWindow
> 
> 	Does anyone knows the availability of X-Window under NetBSD ?
> is it a problem of driver ??

 WHAT do you expect ? :-) Running Word ? Fancy Gif-viewer ? :-)
 You should precise...
 Working are some X11 clients (xeyes :-) and the xlibs have been compiled.
 But these are useless if you aren't networked...

> will it run in 256 color or better in 24 bits under graphics cards such as
> Retina ?

 Sure it will, just when... 
 (One also could make a server for a vt100 console, no ? Would qualify for
  MUP-contest anyway...)

> some ones told me that it was a problem of shared libraries.
> Indeed he told me that X-Window binaries are too big without shared libraries
> so that why X-Window is not actually released.

 This is ONE (and the main reason) of the lack of X11 for Amiga NetBSD.
 The other is: I had no good sources, but this had changed, i have 
 the original X11 CD-ROM now :-)

> But I only need the server (I want to use my A3000 as a X-Window terminal).

 Ah, you need it, too ? Me either :-)

 Ahem, i beg your pardon if i look a bit sarcastic :-) 
 I probably will never understand why peoples always ask as FIRST question
 when they hear of NetBSD: '...and X11 ?'

-- 
Markus Illenseer