Subject: FAQ, 68040 support, ps



Well, I downloaded the bare bones of NetBSD and installed it - and it
worked more or less straight off! Excellent stuff.

A couple of suggestions for the FAQ section on "what files to get":

1. Make a bullet list like:

   - bffs
   - kernel
.........

coz it's easy to miss one like I did on the first go :-(

2. Summarise what usrbin.tgz etc. contain, and correct file names to
reflect those on the ftp sites

3. As well as the install example, give a generic install procedure,
and make it clear you don't need to mess around with your AmigaDOS
system partitions if you can find other space.

On the subject of 040 support, how is it? I've got no experience of
MMU programming, but if I can help even as a tester I will. I have a
perhaps ideal test system (3000 + 68040) although not much disk space
yet (I just put on rootfs and swap).

The "ps" command doesn't work from single user mode on my system - is
this normal?

Dave (the newbie)

David Crooke, Department of Computer Science, University of Edinburgh
Janet [email-masked]  :  Internet [email-masked]  :  IP talk [email-masked]
Work: JCMB Rm 3310, King's Bldgs, W Mains Rd., Edinburgh EH9 3JZ. 031 650 6013
Home: 12 (GFR) West Savile Tr, Edinburgh, SCOTLAND EH9 3DZ. 031 667 4854

---



> yet (I just put on rootfs and swap).

  I could easily generate a kernel with support for the A3000 SCSI interface.
That should be enough to see if it will boot.  Rootfs and swap are enough
to get booted and run a few commands.  One minor problem I haven't tried
to deal with is how to determine if the kernel is running on an A3000.  My
current "solution" currently returns zero if compiled for the 68040.  That
was good enough for my purposes, but won't work for your configuration.

  Anyone got any suggestions for a better check of the A3000?  [The current
check looks to see if fastram is located at 0x07000000 or higher - the PPI
Zeus puts it at 0x08000000.]

Michael

---



> Zeus puts it at 0x08000000.]

The best way would be to let ADos worry about it and have loadbsd pass
the info in.  We have plenty of free registers.

=========================================================================
Eduardo Horvath				[email-masked]
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid

---



> the info in.  We have plenty of free registers.

  OK, do you know what or where AmigaDOS keeps the information that would
indicate an A3000?  [The Amiga Minix loader assumed that if there were no
A2090/A2091/A590 devices configured and the "scsi.device" device driver
existed, then it was an A3000.  Since I had called my driver scsi.device,
Minix thought it was running on a A3000.  This was used only for the Commodore
disk driver, so it didn't cause any real problem on my machine.]

  Since I had to modify loadbsd to recognize the 68040, I also modified it
to pick up the ExecBase->AttnFlags and used that to set up the machine id.

Michael
-- 

-- 
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  [email-masked]
Computer Consultant			BITNET:  [email-masked]
Office of Systems and Computing Services
Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA