Subject: X11 - was: Re-org of console code

From: David Crooke <[email-masked]>

I think that while a generic graphics driver (RTG) is in principle a
nice idea (AmigaOS is crying out for RTG), under Unix it isn't that
useful. Some modularity within the kernel for console support of
add-on cards is a very good idea.

However, under Unix, there is already a very powerful RTG interface -
X11 itself. What we want is a way for the kernel to map the graphics
cards' frame buffers (and possibly the registers) into a user process
space, and provide low-level mouse and keyboard events, the way normal
Unix workstations do it.

Sitting X on top of some home-cooked RTG system is a waste of effort
and will slow the X system down considerably - it would be very hard
to devise a standard to efficiently encompass the features of all the
cards. And there's no point in writing applications to use this
standard directly - just use X and it's portable. We just need a
standard-ish way to map the cards in, and a set of DDX packages for
the cards.

No flames, just my $0.02 worth
Dave

David Crooke, Department of Computer Science, University of Edinburgh
Janet [email-masked]  :  Internet [email-masked]  :  IP talk [email-masked]
Work: JCMB Rm 1408, King's Bldgs, W Mains Rd., Edinburgh EH9 3JZ. 031 650 5164
Home: 12 (GFR) West Savile Tr, Edinburgh, SCOTLAND EH9 3DZ. 031 667 4854

---

From: [email-masked] (Christian E. Hopps)

David,      [regarding <[email-masked]> on Oct 29]

> add-on cards is a very good idea.

It is a nice idea.
[..]

> cards. And there's no point in writing applications to use this

"home-cooked RTG" - while you say you are not flaming this rubbed me the
wrong way.  Why is my code "home-cooked"?  Are the section of my
CrossDos and CrossPC code that I write for Consultron "home-cooked"
you make my code sound very amateurish without even looking at it.
Besides it will not slow X down at all, why becuase the code isn't
in my opinion "home-cooked". 

> standard-ish way to map the cards in, and a set of DDX packages for

This is what stage one of my interface is.  A standard interface to
any graphics display device.  a view is to an application, a bitmap.

After markus' reply, (in a reply to him) I decided that the rwindow
interface can be scrapped and added as a link library that will help
in porting X and writinng a console device.  And yes I like the idea
of a console that isn't running X.  Not everyone wants X slowing
down there machine just to use there monitor's abilities.

The main reason for support up the view level of a standard device is
so that I and everyone else can have those nice flippable screens that
we are all so used to.

> No flames, just my $0.02 worth

Chris...
------------------------
The Royal Oak Chophouse >> Chris Hopps
Royal Oak, Michigan     >> sycom.mi.org!ro-chp!chopps