Subject: NetBSD-disks and bffs

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]>

To: [email-masked],[email-masked]
Subject: NetBSD-disks and bffs

Finally, I found a way to mount NetBSD-partitions under AmigaDOS using
bffs.  See below for my problems.

The mounting wasn't done with a mountlist (which I didn't manage to
set up correctly) but rather by assigning the NetBSD-partitions the
right (bffs) filesystem under ADOS. To do so I did the following
steps:

 1. Fire up HDtoolbox
 2. Partition Drive
 3. Enable Advanced Options
 4. Select Partition to read from AmigaDOS
 5. Change File System for Partition
 6. As a custom filesystem has to be installed for NetBSD, I remember
    its identifier, e. g. 0x42534452 (my root-partition)
 7. Cancel
 8. Add/Update File Systems
 9. Add New File System
10. Filename of File System: "l:bffsfilesystem" (or whatever place
    you've put it)
11. DosType: The custom-fs identifier, e. g. 0x42534452
12. Version doesn't matter (I think!)
13. OK (add fs)
14. OK (add/update fs)
15. For any other partitions you want to read under AmigaDOS go back
    to step 4.
16. OK (partitioning drive)
17. Save Changes

After rebooting, info shows the BSD-partitions and all seems to be
well. Well this isn't so because there are odd things happening:

1. The systems doesn't boot always. Sometimes I get a recoverable
   alert which turns into a guru. (#81000005, #8100000c observed).
   After resetting, my disks have to be validated!
2. Sometimes directory-listings are shown wrong, especially when
   sym-links are involved. When using csh, this causes hangups.
   C:list shows some incorrect link-destinations (following
   example is from my /usr-partition):

   man                          Dir ----rwed 05-Aug-93 16:26:30
   : symlink to /usr/share/man
   src-current                  Dir ----rwed 06-Sep-93 10:26:08
   ucb                          Dir ----rwed 27-Sep-93 14:34:42
   : symlink to bin/share/man

3. When copying large files (>5MB), some 100K get copied quite fast,
   but then bffs starts to stumble. ALoad reports a load-factor going
   up to about 10-15 and then every 5 seconds or so the copying
   continues for some K, the stops again... This way the file IS
   copied, but it's horribly slow and you can't do anything else in
   the meantaime due to the high system-load.

I've got no point why #1 happens, #2 seems to be a minor bug in bffs
to me. #3 seems to occur due to some internal buffer-problems of bffs,
but increasing the fs-buffers in hdtoolbox' partitioning-menu from 30
to 300 didn't seem to help.

Here's my setup as shown by 'showconfig', I use bffs 1.25:

PROCESSOR:	CPU 68030/68882fpu/68030mmu
CUSTOM CHIPS:	ECS PAL Agnus (id=$0020), ECS Denise (id=$00fc)
VERS:	Kickstart version 37.175, Exec version 37.132, Disk version 37.67
RAM:	Node type $a, Attributes $205 (FAST), at $200005-$9fffff (~8.0 meg)
	Node type $a, Attributes $303 (CHIP), at $400-$fffff (~1.0 meg)
BOARDS:
 CBM A2630 68030/RAM card:   Prod=514/81($202/$51) (@$200000 4meg Mem)
 RAM (unidentified):   Prod=2052/1($804/$1) (@$600000 4meg Mem)
 CBM A590/A2091 HD controller:   Prod=514/3($202/$3) (@$e90000 64K)
 CBM A2052/58.RAM | 590/2091.RAM:   Prod=514/10($202/$a) (@$0 1meg Mem)
 Board (unidentified):   Prod=2011/0($7db/$0) (@$ee0000 64K)

Harddisks:
 Seagate ST1096N at SCSI-ID 0, NetBSD-only
 Fujitsu M2624FA at SCSI-ID 1, ADOS-bootsidk, 1 NetBSD-partition

Well, so much about my experiences setting up bffs. I'd really
appreciate if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong or how to
get it working.

Regards,
       Hubert

=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, 93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941 / 701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772 / 6084
      Internet: [email-masked] === IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Andreas Jennen)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 08:10 MET

>16. OK (partitioning drive)

Hallo Hubert,

ich habe einen Amiga 3000 T mit 18 MB Ram.

Wie kommt man denn an das netbsd fuer den Amiga.

Ist das ein port vom 386bsd, das es fuer die Intel x86 Rechner gibt ?

Hast Du evtl ein tape fuer 6250 Baender ?

Gruss Andreas Jennen.
-- _   /|
|  \`o_O' | UUCP Andreas Jennen D-30989 Gehrden bei Hannover, Germany
|    ( )  | EMAIL [email-masked]      Voice: (+49 5108) 92 55 28
|     U   | I am interested in dogs, UNIX,UUCP,IP,Novell and networks