Subject: strange lockup in a shell script

From: [email-masked] (Ronald A Stanions) (Ron Stanions)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 16:20:32 EST

I can't get uucico to work on my setup.  dunno why but it just panics all the
time.  I decided I wanted to try recompiling Taylor UUCP 1.04 anyway, so I
got the archive for it off of ftp.funet.fi, and untarred it.  after setting
up the directories in the Makefile, I ran the supplied configure script, and
after it ran for about 20 minutes, it got to the point where it said:

 'writing conf.h'  (or maybe creating conf.h)

and then it just stopped.  I mean, the whole of NetBSD froze up.  I was doing
some simple stuff on a shell command line on another terminal attached through
/dev/tty00 and it froze solid too.  I left it this way all night, and came
back in the morning to find it still hung.

However, the mouse cursor, and keyboard still worked fine on the console, though
the output wasn't going anywhere.  but when I pressed ^C, it exited the
script cleanly, and NetBSD came alive again.  This happened to me at one other
time while spawning a handful of jobs off as background processes too. (using
nroff mostly.)

Anyone have any idea what this might be, and how to solve for it?

--
Ron Stanions -- DragonSoft Development     [email-masked]
 The Dragon's Weyr BBS -- Livingston, NJ    [email-masked]