Subject: netbsd-amiga status

From: William J. Coldwell <[email-masked]>

Can the splinter groups please post where they're currently at?  mtk has  
obviously had too much time on his hands, since we haven't seen any major  
changes lately ;-)).

I'd like to see 040 support completed and merged into the source tree, since  
that seemed to have been so close (and that will end the CPU changes, until we  
get our grubby little hands on an 060).

I have been limited on development time.. as people who shove money in my face  
(especially lots of dead presidents) tend to get priority over fun things like  
NetBSD on my Amigas.

I have all of the code necessary to the 5380 SCSI controller, but until I  
understand what a "nice looking" device driver is supposed to look like (not  
the WD/GVP one ;-), it makes things tough.  I'd be willing to meet someone half  
way by providing the code for a Read() and a Write() that uses polled I/O with  
no interrupts that someone can drop into a driver... this will get it working  
on a good portion of systems.  Once that is done, then doing the interrupt and  
psuedo DMA should be a breeze.  Next would come the IDE... Someone who is  
quailified, has a development environment, and is interested - contact me.

---

From: [email-masked] (Niklas Hallqvist)

>>>>> "Bill" == William J. Coldwell <[email-masked]> writes:

Bill> Can the splinter groups please post where they're currently at?
Bill> mtk has obviously had too much time on his hands, since we
Bill> haven't seen any major changes lately ;-)).

For me, things have been practically frozen.  I'm working on version 2
of a Amiga FFS for NetBSD which will be BSD Copyrighted.  If someone
really wants, I could put up version 1 (which is GNU Copylefted by
heritage) somewhere.  Beware though, that version does not work well
an small memory (4MB, like I have :-( ) systems and large directories
with large files (like I have :-( ) when doing things like backup
(like I want to :-( ), because then the AmiFFS code will eat up all the
kernel space for buffers.  Version 2 will not suffer from this.  It will
however still be a read-only version, as my time is very limited for the
moment.  Don't expect this version soon anyway.  If your desparate, and
can compile your own kernel, contact me, and I'll try to make version 1
available.

As for supporting multiple GVP products with same product IDs, I haven't
had the time to look into it.  It will be a while until I start caring
about that problem, so if anyone wants to investigate how to differentiate
between such boards, please go ahead... but tell me if you do.

Niklas

Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50
Molndalsvagen 95	Email: [email-masked]
S-412 63  GOTEBORG, Sweden     mcsun!seunet!appli!niklas

---

From: David Jones <[email-masked]>

> get our grubby little hands on an 060).

Motorola indicates that the '060 MMU will not be different from the '040 MMU.
However, rumors have it that some of the new addressing modes that started
on the '02o (such as indirect/indexed with outer displacement) will trap
and be software-emulated.  Shouldn't be much more of a pain than the '040
FP support.

-- 
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
email: [email-masked], finger for more info