Subject: network wits end.

From: Bill Squier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1993 12:07:28 -0400

Anyone having problems with both sendmail and lpd segfaulting immediately at
startup?  Every other network daemon starts okay, some even function
(like syslogd).  Try and start sendmail or lpd again from the shell, and the
machine locks (no panic, no reboot, no NOTHING).  Memory issue? (ie, I have too
little...)

I also get the same segfault behaviour from pppd, but I can run that as many
times as I want.

ls -l reports the following:

-r-sr-sr-x    1 root       237568 Aug 23 13:43 /usr/sbin/sendmail
-r-sr-xr-x    1 root       254980 Jun  7 19:33 /usr/sbin/pppd
-r-xr-xr-x    1 bin        131072 Sep  9 18:05 /usr/sbin/lpd

...hmm, doesn't lpd need sgid or suid privs?  I'll have to try that.
I have a smaller pppd with a possibly more recent date which I'll have to try
out too.

I'm not running routed, but I have one route for localhost defined (I'm not
sure that this is necessary, but it was in /etc/netstart...)

Could someone with a flawless network setup send me their /etc/rc,
/etc/netstart, /etc/networks, and /etc/hosts files?  Much obliged.

-wps