Subject: realtime scheduling

From: [email-masked] (Greg Higgs)

For the first time, System V Release 4 has "realtime scheduling"
which can take over the CPU for extremely time-critical tasks (can
be dangerous on multi-user machines, of course).  Does BSD have
anything like this?  How about Linux?

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Wild)

> anything like this?  How about Linux?

Nope, and I don't think you'll miss it.. usually, when I started to
play with RT processes on Amiga Unix, the machine would go down
sooner or later, usually within an hour or so. I could speed it up
by having the X-server run as RT process :-)

Anyway, from what I've heard, time resolution is pretty bad anyway
in SVR4, so having a separate scheduler will perhaps give you
the illusion of realtime-processing, but be assured, it isn't.

-Markus
-- 
CHUUG/EUnet Switzerland				Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35	Tel: +41 1 291 45 80	[email-masked]
CH-8004 Zuerich		Fax: +41 1 291 46 42	S=mw;P=EUnet;A=EUnet;C=CH