Subject: Strange vm madness

From: Bill Squier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1993 22:46:00 -0400

In an effort to avoid the "/: file system full" messages I've been getting,
I set out to create a new root today.  I performed the following steps:

 1.  I newfs'd a 20meg partition
 2.  Tar'ed the contents of the current / (with `tar cvfpSl root.tar /')
 3.  untar'ed the contents (with `tar xvfpS root.tar') onto the
     new partition.
 4.  Changed the custom file system on the new root to BSDR
 5.  Changed the custom file system on the old root to BSDD (just for kicks)
 6.  Booted NetBSD in single user mode

Everything worked fine to that point.  It found the root device and 
booted fine.  The problem comes when one attempts to:

   mount_mfs /dev/sd1b /tmp

I get a vm_fault (type 8) whenever I attempt to do this.  If I change back
to the old root partition, the same mount_mfs works fine.

The old root is on /dev/sd1a, the new root is on /dev/sd3a.  As far as I
know, the fact that the swap is on a different disk is just fine.

Anyone have any clues?

fault info:

vm_fault(c2000, 16a2000, 3, 0) -> 1
  type 8, code [mmu,,ssw]: 401070d
trap type 8, code = 401070d, v = 16a2000
pid = 29, pc = 0005948E, ps = 2300, sfc = 0001, dfc = 0001

-wps

---

From: Dave R. Madsen <[email-masked]>

>I set out to create a new root today.  I performed the following steps:
[...]
>know, the fact that the swap is on a different disk is just fine.

Hmm, this sounds like a problem I had when I tried to have the swap and root
partitions on two different drives.  I'm not around my Amiga at the moment, 
but I believe the generic kernel in the distribution expects the root and
swap partitions to be on the same drive.  If you build your own kernel,
you can change this behavior in the kernel configuration file
(ie. .../src/sys/arch/amiga/conf/YOURMACHINE)...

Dave

--
Dave R. Madsen        | Computer Science Department | Office: 107 Atanasoff
Systems Support Group |   Iowa State University     | [email-masked]
Project Vincent WGA   |         Ames, Iowa          | [email-masked]