Subject: Re: GCC 2.4.5 didn't help me :-(

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)

On Feb 23,  5:39pm, Niklas Hallqvist wrote:
> My kernel problems with recent sun-lamp code persists when compiling with
> 2.4.5.  I conclude the problems are generic for low-mem systems.  Are thera
> anyone else running -current on 4 MBs?

  I've been compiling with 2.5.6 (I think that's the version I'm using) and
run into a situation that seems very similar, except that it occurs when
trying to start up multi-user mode.  I get a large number of error messages
about things being directories and other errors.

  What's very interesting about this is that I used the same kernel on a
16M system and didn't see any problems with it, but when I tried to boot it
on an 8M system, it failed.  Using my -m option on loadbsd to adjust the
memory size, I found that using -m8000 (8000K bytes), NetBSD would load
and run.  Increasing the memory to -m9000, it was still failing, but when
I increased it to -m10240 (10M), it seemed to run fine again.  I haven't
done any extensive testing, but my second system was able to compile an
earlier version of the kernel when I booted with the -m8000.  I also ran
the Xmono server a while on this system and things seemed to be working
OK.

Michael

-- 
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  [email-masked]
Computer Consultant			BITNET:  [email-masked]
Office of Systems and Computing Services
Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA