Subject: /etcnetstart & SLIP/PPP

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]>

There have been rumours that the /etc/netstart distributed with the
rootfs_720 doesn't work with point-to-point-devices as SLIP and PPP.

The problem is, that when ifconfig'ing the device, the remote
IP-number must be the last on the line! (I don't know if this is a bug
in /etc/netstart or in ifconfig...).

So, the following lines in /etc/netstart must be changed from

	    cmd="ifconfig $1 $af $name "
	    if [ "${dt}" = "dest" ]; then cmd="$cmd $dtaddr"; fi
	    if [ -n "$mask" ]; then cmd="$cmd netmask $mask"; fi
	    if [ -n "$bcaddr" ]; then cmd="$cmd broadcast $bcaddr"; fi
	    cmd="$cmd $extras"

into
	    cmd="ifconfig $1 $af $name "
	    if [ -n "$mask" ]; then cmd="$cmd netmask $mask"; fi
	    if [ -n "$bcaddr" ]; then cmd="$cmd broadcast $bcaddr"; fi
	    cmd="$cmd $extras"
	    if [ "${dt}" = "dest" ]; then cmd="$cmd $dtaddr"; fi

Everything should work then.

Regards,

        Hubert

=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] === IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================

---

From: Alan Bair <[email-masked]>

> in /etc/netstart or in ifconfig...).

Sounds like a bug in /etc/netstart, since when I built the rootfs_720, I
used the latest (at that time) /etc from sun-lamp. The only changes I made
were to set some of the variables to stop the running of any network related
tools so it would be easier for non-networked users to run.

-- 
Alan Bair             		MCTG AMCU DSCS
Motorola, Inc.            	    (Design Software &
Mail Stop OE-320		     Computer Services)
6501 William Cannon Dr. West	(512) 891-2336
Austin, TX  78735-8598          [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "/etcnetstart & SLIP/PPP" (Feb 15, 8:10pm)

On Feb 15,  8:10pm, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> Subject: /etcnetstart & SLIP/PPP

 be also sure you removed files like 'hostname.bah.EXAMPLE'
 or 'hostname.old' as the script will try to read them.

-- 
Markus Illenseer