Subject: sources at sun-lamp

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)

I have been actively tracking and updateing the sun-lamp sources.  The
new accepted site for grabbing source is one of the su-lamp mirrors
(this includes ftp.eunet.ch)

Already merged: my patches to 744. M Hitch's scsi re-org.

I hve also removed all the warnings I could find from the amiga code
and it should now compile without warning.

Anyone sending patches to markus may wish to also cc them to me, if I
understand them they may get merged quicker.

Also note sun-lamp is a dynamic tree source.  While I try to keep the
amiga section compiling valid kernels, as all current users in general
are warned, this cannot be counted on.

I am looking into config.new no news yet.

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)

> Also note sun-lamp is a dynamic tree source.  While I try to keep the

and a source tree even :^)

Chris.

---

From: David Jones <[email-masked]>

> understand them they may get merged quicker.

Anybody sending patches should also send them to me.  If they make sense,
they will appear in the next "how2compile" document regardless of what
happens on sum-lamp or eunet.

-- 
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
email: [email-masked], finger for more info/PGP public key

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)

> happens on sum-lamp or eunet.

While this is a nice service you offer I have to question the
usefullness of a document of patches to source where the source would
already be patched.  I plan on keeping sun-lamp *up-to-date* if you
were on the source-changes list you would see that I have modified the
tree constantly for about 4 days now.  I also hope that people will be
useing the sun-lamp sources.  That way we can find bugs.  I don't
imagine that Markus will release any more source snapshots.  There is
no need and it would discourage the use of sun-lamp source which needs
to be debuged by most people.  I guess that if the source snapshots
continue this document may be of some use, however if not I don't see
the need.

On the other hand a more usefull document would be a how to get and
compile sun-lamp sources.  This document would also benifit
netbsd-amiga's main developers as it would encourage people to use the
sun-lamp tree exclusively.  

Chris.

---

From: Alan Bair <[email-masked]>

> sun-lamp tree exclusively.  

Does this imply that the Amiga changes for NetBSD are now being incorporated
into the NetBSD source tree with the 386 and other architecture versions?
If yes, then I suppose this also means that sun-lamp is the most up to date
place for obtaining the source code, provided everyone places their patches
there.

After being away from NetBSD for awhile, I was trying to update to 744. So
it sounds like I should take the source from sun-lamp instead to ftp.eunet.ch.
If this is correct, then information on obtaining the sun-lamp sources 
would be very helpfull.

-- 
Alan Bair             		MCTG AMCU DSCS
Motorola, Inc.            	    (Design Software &
Mail Stop OE-320		     Computer Services)
6501 William Cannon Dr. West	(512) 891-2336
Austin, TX  78735-8598          [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "Re: sources at sun-lamp" (Feb 3, 10:26am)

> sun-lamp tree exclusively.  

 Gets my full support, just one point: make the sun-lamp source
 tree available on other ftp-sites, sun-lamp is rather slow  compared
 to other sites (slow 386 machine :-)

 Is it possible to mirror sun-lamp tree somewhere in europe, or
 is this already done? ftp.eunet.ch even?

-- 
Markus Illenseer

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)

>  is this already done? ftp.eunet.ch even?

Markus W. tells me that sun-lamp current source tree is mirrored at ftp.eunet.ch

Chris.

 this already done? ftp.eunet.ch even?

Markus W. tells me that sun-lamp current source tree is mirrored at ftp.eunet.ch

Chris.

---

From: Markus Landgraf <[email-masked]>

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Hopps <[email-masked]> writes:

    >>  On Feb 3, 10:26am, Chris Hopps wrote: > On the other hand a
    >> more usefull document would be a how to get and > compile
    >> sun-lamp sources.  This document would also benifit >
    >> netbsd-amiga's main developers as it would encourage people to
    >> use the > sun-lamp tree exclusively.
    >> 
    >> tree available on other ftp-sites, sun-lamp is rather slow
    >> compared to other sites (slow 386 machine :-)
    >> 

    Chris> Markus W. tells me that sun-lamp current source tree is
    Chris> mirrored at ftp.eunet.ch

But the mirror @ eunet seems to be disactivated, because the newest
files in software/os/bsd/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/sys/arch/amiga were
built at december 17th. 

Since I am administrator of an amiga site which mirrors NetBSD
(ftp.hrz.uni-kassel.de), I volunteer to install the mirror to
sun-lamp, but I don't know the exact name of 'sun-lamp' and the
directory, were the BSD-source tree is kept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Landi#2
[email-masked]
"The only time when I'm easy is when I'm killed by death"
"If You got the power, that don't mean You got the right"
                                                          I. Kilmister
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]>

>  to other sites (slow 386 machine :-)
                        ^^^
                       i486.

>  is this already done? ftp.eunet.ch even?

NetBSD-current is mirrored on ftp.eunet.ch in
software/os/bsd/NetBSD/NetBSD-current.

I've set up a mirror for NetBSD-current here on ftp.uni-regensburg.de,
too, mirroring from ftp.eunet.ch. But from what I've just read on this
list, I'll switch over to mirror from sun-site directly, after the
initial slurp is done from eunet.

Regards,

         Hubert

=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] === IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)

> >  to other sites (slow 386 machine :-)

I didn't say that :^) you quoted the wrong name.  The one above that
said it was slow. :^)

> initial slurp is done from eunet.

If you have the time and would like to offer yet another worthwhile
service you could look into setting up a sup database, this would
allow developers to simply run the sup program and it would contact
your site's database and fetch only the changed files.  This is really
what developers need to stay current, that or mirror the entire thing
on there machine.

Chris.

---

From: [email-masked]

>  is this already done? ftp.eunet.ch even?

I'm sup'ing -current daily, so as long as sup can set up a connection to
sunlamp, the mirror should be quite uptodate. There are sometimes problems
reported by sup, which can delay updates by a few days.

-Markus
-- 
CHUUG/EUnet Switzerland				Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35	Tel: +41 1 291 45 80	[email-masked]
CH-8004 Zuerich		Fax: +41 1 291 46 42	S=mw;P=EUnet;A=EUnet;C=CH

---

From: [email-masked]

> files in software/os/bsd/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/sys/arch/amiga were

Please reverify next time before stating bogus information. I have files
of Feb 1, Jan 30,29.27,26 besides Dec 17 in that directory, showing quite
working mirror activity. Don't forget too that I didn't update the sun-lamp
source tree for quite a while, and am now really happy that Chris Hopps is
doing such a wonderful job at keeping it uptodate.

-Markus

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "Re: sources at sun-lamp" (Feb 3, 8:38pm)

> initial slurp is done from eunet.

 Fine! Helps alot.

-- 
Markus Illenseer

---

From: [email-masked] (Ty Sarna)

>  to other sites (slow 386 machine :-)

Actually, i believe it's a fast 486. The problem is that it's massively
overloaded. It serves FTP, SUP, the mailing lists, CVS, development,
etc.

-- 
Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked
[email-masked]        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."

---

From: [email-masked] (Ty Sarna)

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ty Sarna) writes:
> 
> Would it be possible to keep a file src/sys/arch/amiga/doc/CHANGES,
> listing Amiga-specific changes you commit?

Or on second thought, howabout adding notes to the global doc/CHANGES file?

---

From: Markus Landgraf <[email-masked]>

>>>>> "mw" == mw  <[email-masked]> writes:

    >>  But the mirror @ eunet seems to be disactivated, because the
    >> newest files in
    >> software/os/bsd/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/sys/arch/amiga were
    >> built at december 17th.

    mw> Please reverify next time before stating bogus information. I
    mw> have files of Feb 1, Jan 30,29.27,26 besides Dec 17 in that
    mw> directory, showing quite working mirror activity. Don't forget
    mw> too that I didn't update the sun-lamp source tree for quite a
    mw> while, and am now really happy that Chris Hopps is doing such
    mw> a wonderful job at keeping it uptodate.

sorry, today I looked into NetBSD-current/src/sys/arch/amiga and all
files were there and new. I can't remembeer what was going on in my
emacs when I explored ftp.eunet.ch.