Subject: Re: SCSI-controller?

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)

On Feb 17, 10:24am, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> Michael Kofod <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I finally decided to try out NetBSD yesterday, but it did not like
> > booting from my BOIL-SCSI controller..
> 
> For the record: I also have a BOIL3 scsi controller (in my 2000, not
> in my 4000). It is basically the hardware of a Supra Wordsync (aside:
> I thought that word was trademarked by commodore, or somesuch)
> with different firmware (it now supports autobooting and RigidDisk
> Blocks, and a harddisk password, for instance).

  If the BOIL3 scsi controller uses the 5380 chip like the Supra Wordsync,
it shouldn't be too hard to add support for it on NetBSD.  I have a Supra
Wordsync in a second machine that I was able to boot NetBSD with.  The
Supra support is rather elementry at the momement, but I am still working
in it.  I can add support for other 5380-type controllers with just a
little basic information (although it's sometimes hard to come by).  I
need to know the Manufacturer and Product codes of the board, the locations
of the 5380 registers (relative to the start of the board address), and
optionally any available information on psuedo-DMA access used by the board
(or information on real DMA if the board uses it).

Michael