Subject: BFFS 1.3 problem

From: [email-masked] (Stefan G. Berg)

I have installed the BFFSFileSystem and got it to automount my three
NetBSD partitions for me (i.e., the partitions are already available
in the boot manager).  I haven't actually tried writing to them, but
otherwise things seem to work fine.  Is it dangerous to write to the
NetBSD partitions from AmigaDOS?  Like how about creating a Disk.info
file on them?  :-)

Anyway, the problem I am having is that the "user_manual" states that
I should change reserved blocks at beginning to "-1" using HDToolBox
(as I have it in my mountlist entry).  I did that, but now NetBSD
can't find my root partition anymore.  I changed the value back to "0"
and NetBSD works again.  Also the partition still automounts
correctly.  What does that "-1" stand for anyway?  Is it important at
all?

Thanks,

Stefan

,-------------------------------------------------------,
|Usenet   [email-masked] Stefan G. Berg|
|Internet [email-masked]           MIME // AMIGA |
|Bitnet   sgberg@indiana   GE_Mail s.berg5   \X/ w/ bms |
`-------------------------------------------------------'

---

From: [email-masked]

> I should change reserved blocks at beginning to "-1" using HDToolBox

Eh, that's bogus.. that value has to be 0.

-Markus
-- 
CHUUG/EUnet Switzerland				Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35	Tel: +41 1 291 45 80	[email-masked]
CH-8004 Zuerich		Fax: +41 1 291 46 42	S=mw;P=EUnet;A=EUnet;C=CH

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hooper)

> Eh, that's bogus.. that value has to be 0.

I should have stated in the user_manual that for anyone running
NetBSD, the value should be zero.  BFFS is using the Reserved
blocks field to decide whether or not to look for a partition
table.  Since NetBSD on the Amiga is not using the BSD partition
table BFFS wouldn't find it anyway.

Markus is right.  A value of zero should work fine for you.

- Chris Hooper     Computer Sciences Corporation - System Support Engineer at
  [email-masked]  General Dynamics  [Sterling Heights, MI]    (810) 825-5061