Subject: Problems starting network

From: [email-masked]

I have installed version 744 and all of the binaries excpet for X11R5.
When I try to go to multiuser mode, it gets through saying "starting
network ..." and then it freezes.  I had to reboot back to single user
and executed /etc/netstart with sh -x /etc/netstart.  It spits out
a few envrionment variable definitions and then hangs after gated=NO
When I do these by hand, they work fine.  Does anyone know whats going
on?!?!

I have a 2000, GVP G-Force 040/33 with 4mb 32-bit, and a Retina.
Nothing else special.

Also, I have an Irwin 5040 tape drive which does not seem to work
right under NetBSD.  First of all, it configures as sd5, a disk not a
tape.  I think this is because the Irwin is a scsi direct device, not a
sequential like most tape drives.  I put my tar files on tape from
AmigaDos, loaded netbsd, and tar xvf /dev/sd5c.  The files extracted
fine, no complaints from tar.  But the files are corrupt and refuse
to ungzip.  I untarrd the archives from AmigaDos and they all tested
fine.  Whats up?

Thanks,
David.

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)

> I have a 2000, GVP G-Force 040/33 with 4mb 32-bit, and a Retina.

  I'm not certain that the 744 version of the kernel will run properly
in 4MB.  I've had trouble running the last few versions of the kernel
in 4MB.  If I rebuild the kernel and reduce the size by removing some
items from the configuration.  Prior to my modifications to the scsi
drivers, I had to get rid of the ISO file system (which meant I couldn't
use my CDROM) and had to build a kernel with only Zeus SCSI support.
Since I have consolidated the scsi drivers, I can now run with both the
Zeus and 33C93 drivers, but I still can't include the ISO file system.

  I looked into this problem a while ago.  I don't remember which version
of the kernel it was, but I found that if I had just a few more pages
of memory, the kernel would run (but swapped considerably).  What I
would see was that the kernel would boot fine in single user mode, but
when I tried to start multi user mode, it would hang.  The hang turned
out to be the vmfault routine waiting for an available physical page.
I haven't figured out any solution other than more memory or a smaller
kernel.

Michael

-- 
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  [email-masked]
Computer Consultant			BITNET:  [email-masked]
Office of Systems and Computing Services
Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA

---

From: [email-masked]

>out to be the vmfault routine waiting for an available physical page.

I finally found out what was causing my hang up.  I had forgotten to
get the new binaries for ps, bash, and make.  Bash was the culprit.
After the netstart script sets gated_flags it then executes this:
hostname=`cat /etc/hostname` (or something like that).  The backquotes
crashed Bash on the 040 ( I remember reading this earlier).  When I
installed the new Bash, everything was alright.  Multiuser mode comes
up just fine; at least for now :)  I plan on getting more memory as soon
as I can get the money (GVP simms are EXPENSIVE!)

I still don't know what to do about my tape drive though?!?

David.