Subject: 4mm DAT driver

From: Paul Yadlowsky <[email-masked]>

I have an Archive Python 4mm DAT drive interfaced to my
Amiga 3000 with the stock A3000 SCSI controller.  This
drive works fine with gnutar or AmiBack from AmigaDos.
When I load NetBSD I get the following message:

  st0: ARCHIVE Python 25601-XXX rev
  st0: unsupported tape drive
  st0  at a3000scsi0, slave 5

The NetBSD FAQ says to ignore the 'unsupported tape drive' message.
The system seems to recognize that the drive is an Archive Python
and is attached to scsi device 5; this is correct.  So why do
I get the following message when I try to access this drive with
tar.

  tar: can't open /dev/rst0: Input/output error

Please note the /dev/rst0 does exist.  Do I need a different 
driver for this tape drive?  If so, has anyone else already
written such a driver and is he/she willing to share it with
me?  If this is the case, can you tell me how to incorporate this
driver into the system?

Thanks,
-Paul

-- 

Paul Yadlowsky                           ITC-Academic Computing Health Sciences
[email-masked]               University of Virginia
(804) 924-2846  (office)                 Health Sciences Center
(804) 982-4030  (fax)                    Hospital West, Room 3001
										 Charlottesville, VA  22908

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Leland - PSI)

> I get the following message when I try to access this drive with

Ah, get the kernel incoming/vmunix-tape.tar.gz and the incoming/README.vmunix-tape file.
This kernel has, and the next released one will also, a patachable
variable called pretend_tobe_mt or something like that. 
You can select what tape drive you want you tape to act like. 
Try and see if it will behave like a 8mm DAT drive. 
Complete details are in the README files.

> me?  If this is the case, can you tell me how to incorporate this

If it works I can patch the new st.c that is on sun-lamp for
you or you can do it youself! Patches to the 744 st.c will
definately not work, as Michael Hitch went to a data driven tables.

> -Paul

-Rob