Subject: Re: conf/AMIGA

From: [email-masked] (Ty Sarna)

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
> Hm, I still believe that the right thing to do is to adjust the clock on the
> ados side. Given the future perspective of ados supporting timezones as well
> (at least the requester is there by now...), this should be the way IMHO..

Well, I wish the Amiga used GMT for the RTC too, but it doesn't.  The
timezones support doesn't know anything about DST, and won't until _at
least_ the OS release after next.  Who knows if they'll do it even then. 
Add a release after that for it to appear on all machines, looking at
recent history.  And ADOS will still probably want to run the RTC in
locatime then anyway.  Also,programs like Time Preferences read and
write the RTC themselves, so to make it all work correctly, you have to
wedge battclock.resource as well.  Then there's the question of booting
from other drives without the clock adjuster program installed. 
Particularly for people who only ran NetBSD part-time, this solution
could be more trouble than it's worth. 

NetBSD, on the other hand, already has a good time database, it has
source, so we can add the required support easily, and it doesn't
conflict with the existing standard of RTC as localtime. besides, my
solution is purely optional. You can still run RTC=GMT if you like. You
don't even have to recompile the kernel to switch.

NetBSD/amiga already tries to cooperate with AmigaOS wherever posible,
so I don't see any reason not to provice at least the option to
cooperate on this as well.

-- 
Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked
[email-masked]        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."