Subject: GCC 2.4.5 didn't help me :-(

From: [email-masked] (Niklas Hallqvist)

My kernel problems with recent sun-lamp code persists when compiling with
2.4.5.  I conclude the problems are generic for low-mem systems.  Are thera
anyone else running -current on 4 MBs?

Niklas

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)

> anyone else running -current on 4 MBs?

Some real interesting info would be:
what your shell limits are (full info)
probably 2M stack 32M data etc..

what the size of your swap area is.  i.i. what size is you sdNb?

what hardware do you have in your system?  Any 16bit RAM? perhaps a
nasty supraRAM card?  (I have my doubts as to exatcly who is
responsible for my problems with supraRAM either GVP accelerator or
SupraRAM...)

If you have 16 bit RAM cards, try and pull them and see what happens..
Yes even though your not useing them.  My system has been stable ever
since I removed my supraRAM card that I wasn't useing in NetBSD.

Also perhaps your swap area is not large enough?

I really want to get your system running as I know exactly how it
feels to be in your posistion.

> Niklas

Chris.

---

From: "Eduardo E. Horvath [email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

> anyone else running -current on 4 MBs?

I'm running on a 4MB system.  I'm also using 2.5.6 (I think).  I find
that I get very strange results.  I managet to get a bootable kernel
ever other compile or so.  Problems ranged from a blank gray screen,
to init dying from a trapsignal, to the latest version where init just
dies.  The only soution I can suggest is don't compile with -O2, and
if a kernel fails, delete all the .o files and try again.  I fand that
after re-compiling the whole thing, the kernel will sometimes work.

BTW, I do run mkdep on a kernel before I start compiling.  I'm getting
the impression that mkdep may just be broken.

=========================================================================
Eduardo Horvath				[email-masked]
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid

---

From: Arthur Hoffmann <[email-masked]>

> the impression that mkdep may just be broken.
I am not so sure if it is related to your system being 4M, I have
tried to compile the sun-lamp kernel on my A3000 16M (fast) and I only
get a grey screen when loadbsd'ing vmunix.(loadbsd is the latest on
eunet) I'm using gcc2.5.8, ld.old and -O optimization. (O2 caused
heaps of undefined stuff when the compile was finished.) I also do a
make depend and I also tried to erase the whole ...../compile/ATZE
directory and doing a new config ATZE every time I did a sup to
sun-lamp. Also I did a make clean in /usr/src/sys/lib/libkern.

Any clues?

Arthur.

					Arthur Hoffmann
					[email-masked]