Subject: 744 kernel re-compilation

From: [email-masked] (Tero Manninen)

Hello,

could someone send me the compilation instructions that guided to compile
744 kernel sources? I compiled the kernel once succesfully (and that is the
kernel that I am currently running), but I did some modifications and can't
get a working kernel anymore.  At least a file amiga/trap.c needs a define
SYS_sun_sigreturn, but what was the correction for this (I need SunOS
emulation). I am also hoping to compile a kernel for gdb-4.11..

++Tero

---

From: "Eduardo E. Horvath [email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

> emulation). I am also hoping to compile a kernel for gdb-4.11..

I finally managed to compile a 744 kernel (don't froget Chris Hopps
patch).  What I did about the SYS_sun_sigreturn was go into the file
sys/compat/sunos/syscalls.master and change "sigreturn" to
"sun_sigreturn".  Then to make the cange work, type:

sh makesyscalls.sh syscalls.master

On a slightly different matter, I SUP'ed the latest kernel sources
from sun-lamp, and after considerable effort managed to get them to
compile and link.  I was extremely annoyed to discover that both the
retina and tiga drivers (Ha!) are hard wired into ite.c.  There is
also a typo in sd.c, where MAKEBOOTDEV is spelled "MAKEBOOTOADEV".
Most of the .S files in /sys/lib/libkern/m68k are missing.  Finally, I
discovered that the kernel will not boot on my machine.  It will not
even try to boot.  All I get is a blank gray screen.  What's going on
with the sources on sun-lamp?

I would like to do some development work on the kernel, so I can add
some features to my X server.  However, the alegedly latest sources
just don't work.  I 744 already has several patches generated against
it by several different people.  If I start doing this too,
integrating all the patches together will be a nightmare.  How are we
going to handle this?  Where do I get a current baseline to start
working from?

=========================================================================
Eduardo Horvath				[email-masked]
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)

> from sun-lamp, and after considerable effort managed to get them to

Compiles out-of-the-box, over here.

> retina and tiga drivers (Ha!) are hard wired into ite.c.  There is

It has always been this way.

> also a typo in sd.c, where MAKEBOOTDEV is spelled "MAKEBOOTOADEV".

Yes I caught that too.

> Most of the .S files in /sys/lib/libkern/m68k are missing.  Finally, I

No they are not, the're in lib/lib/arch/m68k.

> with the sources on sun-lamp?

Your running with an old loadbsd I posted more than once about this.

Whats going on with the sources on sun-lamp, is development, if you
wish to be annoyed it should be entirely with yourself for not keeping
track of the moving target.

> going to handle this?  Where do I get a current baseline to start

You seem like you have an atituede, is this this case or am I
misreading you?  If its atitude you've got then cool down and
fix *your* mistakes.

> Eduardo Horvath				[email-masked]

Chris.

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)

> No they are not, the're in lib/lib/arch/m68k.

   Ummm... how about lib/libc/arch/m68k?

Michael

---

From: "William J. Coldwell" <[email-masked]>

Begin forwarded message:

In this corner: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)
[Eduardo said:]

>Your running with an old loadbsd I posted more than once about this.

The date of the one on sun-lamp in the ~/stand/loadbsd is Feb 11.. you should  
be building this one, I believe, and it should always contain the latest  
working one.

>track of the moving target.

Generally though, the latest version that is checked in, should work.. Any  
patches, should be applied to the source tree as soon as possible so that we  
don't have multiple versions being created, and so-and-so doesn't have patch  
x, so they post here asking the same questions.  The only way this is going  
to happen, is if people get patches to Chris as soon as verified.

For the record though, Chris has done a wonderful job of keeping sun-lamp  
archives up to date.

--
William J. Coldwell | Intel Corp. CPD-Mobile | "Get Warped!"
[email-masked] | [email-masked]  | Warp Engine: Macrosystems US
Cryogenic Software  | Work(4), !(speak(4))   | 040@40, SCSI2, 128M@4/2/2/2

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)

> In this corner: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)
...
> to happen, is if people get patches to Chris as soon as verified.

  There is also this little disclaimer in the README.sup file:
---
IMPORTANT!!
Be aware that the current release is simply a snapshot of the daily
state of NetBSD development and is not guaranteed to build (or even
work) - use at your own risk !

Stable releases of NetBSD are available via SUP. Instructions are
included with the release announcement.
---

  I'm not certain what the stable release of NetBSD is, but I would guess
that it's the 0.8 and 0.9 releases.

> For the record though, Chris has done a wonderful job of keeping sun-lamp  

  I'll second that.  I suspect it's a lot of work, particularly the task of
getting all the work we've done merged into the sun-lamp stuff initially.
Trying to keep the amiga tree up to date with any changes in the rest of
the kernel could take some effort at times.  I hope Chris can keep up the
good work.

Michael