Subject: Problem with tape backup (rst0)

From: [email-masked] (Joe Vasher)

I have setup the tape in the kernel as follows:

tape            st0        at gvp11scsi 0 slave 2

        And when I try to write to the tape with the following:

tar czvpf /dev/rst0 /etc 

        I get a warning at the beginning and at the end that there is a block 
mismatch and it says 512 / 7144 the error says something simlar at the end as 
well plus it states io error couldn't right to /dev/rst0.

        I'm using a 150 meg tape back up to do this with. And when I try to 
untar with the following command it works except I'm missing some files in the 
etc directory. 

        tar xzvpf /dev/rst0 there's about 5 or 6 files missing. Tar works fine 
I tried testing it on the same directory to a file/path without problem. So I 
think that I either have something configured wrong in the kernel or there is 
a bug in the kernel. Same problem when I tried writing to the tape from the 
usr directory. An error at the begining and end.

thanks.

--
<======================================================================>
|    Joe Vasher               Internet: [email-masked] or       |
|    ComQuest BBS             UUCP:     heifetz!mbsun!cquest!jvasher   |
|    (313)397-5047            FIDO:     Joe Vasher>1:2410/403.0        |
|                      Thanks for flying Xcel                          |
<======================================================================>