Subject: Password Problem

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer)

I currently ran into the problem that all programms which need to
lookup for password entries, such as xlock, xgone and xnlock don't work
when shadow passwords are enabled.

I've  been looking into my mail-record but haven't found any hint about
that. I link with -lcrypt which normally should do the trick, alas
it doesn't...

Anyone?

-- 
Markus Illenseer

---

From: Rick Chavez <[email-masked]>

> From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer)
>

Try setting the SUID bit on the executable and make it owned by root.

	# chown root xlock
	# chmod 4755 xlock

In shadow password schemes the system call "getpwent" returns the '*' found
in /etc/passwd, except it will return the real password entry if you are
root.  Most of these programs use this system call.  If you have a program
that directly accesses /etc/passwd then you're out of luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick Chavez                                               [email-masked]
Convex Computer Corp.                                      (214) 497-3058
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]>

Just an idea: does getpwent() return the encrypted pw when run as
root, or only a star, as stored in /etc/passwd?

Maybe putting the progs setuid root helps?

Hubert

=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] === IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================
  Click <A HREF="http://dusk.rz.uni-regensburg.de/hubert.html">here.</A>