Subject: tcl/tk on Amiga-NetBSD X11R5

From: Paul Yadlowsky <[email-masked]>

The following is a message I posted to comp.lang.tcl in hopes of
getting some help with an X problem on my Amiga (NetBSD 744, X11R5).
So far, no one has responded to my request for advice.
For those not familiar with tcl/tk, it is an X toolkit developed
by John Ousterhout at the University of California at Berkeley.
If any of you have any ideas as how I might go about
fixing this problem I would appreciate hearing from you.  Please
note that other people who have tried to run tcl/tk under Amiga-NetBSD
are having the same problem.

-Paul

  I currently have tcl/tk working (almost) on an Amiga 3000 running the
  NetBSD operating system (BSD unix, X11R5).  Tk does everything as 
  expected with one major exception; it does not display text.  The
  windows, buttons, menus all look and work fine --- they just don't
  show their text.  I've poked around in the tk code and have found
  the calls to XDrawString that should be generating these strings.
  I've added printf statements to check the arguments and 
  the arguments of these calls to XDrawString appear to be correct.
  Any ideas what might be going wrong?  Please note that other programs
  such as xman and xcalc are working fine, labels and all.  This leads
  me to believe that the X server is working fine.  

-- 

Paul Yadlowsky                           ITC-Academic Computing Health Sciences
[email-masked]               University of Virginia
(804) 924-2846  (office)                 Health Sciences Center
(804) 982-4030  (fax)                    Hospital West, Room 3001
										 Charlottesville, VA  22908

---

From: "Andreas E. Heitmann" <[email-masked]>

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Yadlowsky <[email-masked]> writes:

    Paul>   I currently have tcl/tk working (almost) on an Amiga 3000
    Paul> running the NetBSD operating system (BSD unix, X11R5).  Tk
    Paul> does everything as expected with one major exception; it
    Paul> does not display text.  The windows, buttons, menus all look
    Paul> and work fine --- they just don't show their text.  I've
    Paul> poked around in the tk code and have found the calls to
    Paul> XDrawString that should be generating these strings.  I've
    Paul> added printf statements to check the arguments and the
    Paul> arguments of these calls to XDrawString appear to be
    Paul> correct.  Any ideas what might be going wrong?  Please note
    Paul> that other programs such as xman and xcalc are working fine,
    Paul> labels and all.  This leads me to believe that the X server
    Paul> is working fine.

Hi !

I compiled tcl/tk and XF and didn't observe the problem you have. All
Strings are drawn correctly. I'm using the Retina X-server in the 256
color mode.

But with Tcl/Tk another problem showed up: when Tcl/Tk wants to lookup
a color from the color database, only color names which are completely
lowercase are recognized. Color names with uppercase letters are
"unknown" and give me an error message. Is this a bug in my color DB,
or a bug in the server ?

bye,

   Andreas Heitmann  ([email-masked])

        "Don't give me any of that intelligent life stuff. 
         Find me something I can blow up."  

	Lt. Doolittle, _Dark Star_

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "tcl/tk on Amiga-NetBSD X11R5" (Feb 22, 8:54am)

>   me to believe that the X server is working fine.  

 I've been using tk/tcl, too (see tk/tcl -FAQ :-), and i solved the problem
 telling 'wish' to use a black foreground (-fg black).
 The problem is still valid for external shell-script using tk/tcl,
 i haven't found any solution yet to tell tk/tcl in any global way to
 use other colors.
 The problem is the monochrome- X server, not the X lib nor tk/tcl.

-- 
Markus Illenseer

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "Re: tcl/tk on Amiga-NetBSD X11R5" (Feb 22, 4:36pm)

> Strings are drawn correctly. I'm using the Retina X-server in the 256

 That's what i thought, the X server is the bugger.

 It seems to me that the Xmono X server tries to map all colors to 
 black and white, and somewhere it still believes it is a color server.

> "unknown" and give me an error message. Is this a bug in my color DB,

 I thibk this is a bug in your database. try out 'XRainBow' or 'xcolor'
 to check (can both be found on your loveable ftp server).

-- 
Markus Illenseer