Subject: Re: Arcnet-driver

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "Re: Arcnet-driver" (Feb 9, 7:04am)

On Feb 9,  7:04am, Ty Sarna wrote:
> I don't know if you could get a2060.device source code from Commodore,
> but the binary is only about 5.5K, so programming it can't be too
> difficult. Since it's so small, you could probably even disassemble it
> and figure it out fairly easily (relative to disassembling a scsi driver
> or something). You might also see what chip is on the board, and see if
> NetBSD/i386 has a driver for it (I don't know if they have any arcnet
> drivers,but it's worth looking).

 Disassembling is already done, even with comments, just one problem -
 i have no idea of progamming with Assembler :-)
 The chip is either (U20) COM 90C26 / SMC C8934 or (U19) LH5216-12 / 8901
 or is the Hybrid for interest (guess not).

> You don't want to do this, any more than you'd want a slip driver that
> looked like ethernet. There is a RFC for IP-on-arcnet which you'll want
> to get and follow. It shouldn't be very difficult, and will probably
> work better (and be more compatible) that way. ifconfig & co shouldn't
> need any changes, since the if (interface) ioctls are designed to be
> fairly device-independant.

 Ok, acknowledged. Which RFC is it?

-- 
Markus Illenseer