Subject: How best to keep up with development?

From: David Jones <[email-masked]>

What's the best way for me to maintain my BSD system to my satisfaction
given the current software distribution scheme?

Details:

- Berkeley and University of Toronto are both directly connected to NSFNet.
  That means that FTP to/from sun-lamp is DAMN fast, and a lot less
  stressful on the net than FTP to eunet.ch.

  If the Amiga kernel source is mirrored reasonably well (i.e. no more
  than 1 or 2 day slop) then the Net Gods would much prefer that I
  sponge from sun-lamp.  If I am interested in getting Amiga-specific
  stuff (such as the latest Amiga X server), would I be better off
  going to eunet?

  I am assuming that no more releases of bsdsyssrc.xxx.tar.gz will be
  forthcoming.

- Is there an easy way for me to find out what's changed with each
  kernel source update?  For example, a release that fixes a few '040
  bugs is not worth my time building, although it will be for other
  people.  I'd rather not build something that gives me less functionality
  (such as .744 - I use .730 for development since I can use GDB with it).

  I don't have the disk space to maintain a complete (kernel/bin/usrbin)
  source tree.

-- 
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
email: [email-masked], finger for more info/PGP public key

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)

>   (such as .744 - I use .730 for development since I can use GDB with it).

Subscribe to [email-masked],  Every time a
cvs commit is done you will get a small message about it with the note
from the developer.  If you are not interested in common stuff, then
setup a filter and anything that doesn't have amiga in the sbuject
line you toss.

>   I don't have the disk space to maintain a complete (kernel/bin/usrbin)

Use sup to bring the stuff to your local univ. then whatever to get it
to your house.  You can even setup a private sup database for yourself.

> David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto

Chris.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ty Sarna)

> setup a filter and anything that doesn't have amiga in the sbuject

source-changes can be massive information overload without filtering,
and many people are not in a position to filter mail easily.  Other
might like to recieve one condensed report instead of many many tiny
messages.  For this reason, I've hacked up a little script to monitor
source-changes and post a digest of each weeks's amiga and generic-m68k
changes to the amiga list once a week.  I'll start it next friday, if
there are no objections. 

(I still think noting amiga-specific changes in doc/CHANGES or
arch/amiga/doc/CHANGES would also be a good idea, though).

-- 
Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked
[email-masked]        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)

> changes to the amiga list once a week.  I'll start it next friday, if

Objections?  No way, thanks alot. This will help people that ar not
setup to filter the list (or even handle the raw input.)

> arch/amiga/doc/CHANGES would also be a good idea, though).

I will start using a arch/amiga/doc/CHANGES file.  good idea (I didn't
want to make notes specific to the AMIGA like ("massive cleanup" in
the general CHANGES FILE)

Chris.