Subject: Compiling sun-lamp sources.

From: [email-masked] (Chris Hopps)

This is a note to all devlopers that are compiling sun-lamp sources.

I have switched the amiga kernel linking over to the new ld, you will
need an ld that is fairly current if you wish your symbols to not be
stripped (it was a bug that was fixed a little while back).

the sizeof the struct disklabel changed a little while back so "newfs"
and "disklabel" need recompiling.

The position of the stack changed so all programs that referece
USRSTACK need to be recompiled like ps, w, nfsd, gdb...  Yell at
Markus about this one :^)

As a treat anyone running X can stop redirecting it, I fixed the MMU
fault bug.

A final note, I try as hard as I can to keep the sources compiling and
generating "working" kernels. however I also am chaning the sources
everyday adding users patches and my own modifications.  If your
kernel doesn't run, don't jump into elm and mail me about it, try and
figure out whats wrong.  If that fails you can post something to the
list.  Remember the sources you sup are only a snapshot of a costantly
moving target.

Thanks,
Chris.

---

From: [email-masked] (Niklas Hallqvist)

FYI, I recompiled my sun-lamp based kernel with -O using 2.5.8 GCC
but I still got the weird "ls: is a directory" type of messages after
a while (although a longer while than before).  I have the following
questions/requests:

A.	Has anybody compiled a recent sun-lamp kernel with 2.5.8 and ld.old?
	Did you do anything special?

B.	Could people stress their machines to the point the systems start to
	thrash (start several concurrent compilations and some emacses) and
	check that the kernel works ok.  For those of you still running
	744, don't bother, I know that works.

C.	Is there any point in trying to use the kernel debugger?  I know the
	disassembler cannot work, but otherwise?

Niklas

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "Re: Compiling sun-lamp sources." (Feb 22, 9:41am)

> 	disassembler cannot work, but otherwise?

 Sorry, haven't compiled sun-lamp kernel yet, but this point buggers me, too.
 Currently trying to write a driver for the A2060 Arcnet and all i get is
 a MMU-Panic yet, i wonder if there is any way to debug a kernel without
 having to recompile it every 5 minutes after adding a printf() somewhere.

-- 
Markus Illenseer

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Leland - PSI)

>  having to recompile it every 5 minutes after adding a printf() somewhere.

Well if you have two machines you could try debugging it using the serial 
port and KGDB (gdb -k). I have done this on i386 machines but not the Amiga.
I am not sure if any special code needs to go into the serial driver for this
it works well. Has any one ddone this yet.

-Rob

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Leland - PSI)

> FYI, I recompiled my sun-lamp based kernel with -O using 2.5.8 GCC
Ditto 
> 	Did you do anything special?
No. Just made sure that I had a current version of /usr/src/lib installed
also. And moved ld to kernel-ld.
> 	744, don't bother, I know that works.
I keep getting bus errors (Signal 10) when trying to recompile 
during I believe linking phase, but I am not sure, for libc.a.
I haven't been able to track the problem down yet.

Separate question:
 What do I need to do to be able to rebuild a usable ld? Right now I am using
 the last distributed ld. The one I build complains about wrong Archetecture.
 The new ld.so seems to work ok, I run the shared X, just the
 static ld seems muffed.

More questions than answers @-)!
-Rob

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)

> This is a note to all devlopers that are compiling sun-lamp sources.
...
> Markus about this one :^)

  Or you can do like I did and locate where the stack is referenced and
patch it :-).

Michael

-- 
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  [email-masked]
Computer Consultant			BITNET:  [email-masked]
Office of Systems and Computing Services
Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "Re: Compiling sun-lamp sources." (Feb 22, 11:28am)

> it works well. Has any one ddone this yet.

 Guess what :-) I do have two machines here (Amigas), as i want to write the 
 A2060 driver. 
 Where can i get the KGB, err, GPU, KGDB :)

-- 
Markus Illenseer