Subject: Meeting Karlsruhe

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer)

Hello, just a little review for the Amiga Internet/Usenet
meeting we had last weekend in Karlsruhe/Germany.

About 80 Amiga-freaks were assembled, of which about 10 used NetBSD,
thus we can say it was a 'whole NetBSD-Amiga community of Germany'-meeting :-)

As Markus Wild also attended the meeting, we had lot of stuff to speak
about and to discuss.

Using the local network - Ethernet or Slip/ppp - many of the network-clients
have been used and prooved once again the stability of NetBSD. It was just
too easy (I cite hubertf) to install slip: just 3 commands needed, no
further headaches :-) (Contrary to the AmigaDos-Freaks with Envoy)

Using nfs and ftp, most tried to catch up their delay on current sources
and binaries, also some nice binaries for X11 were found and compiled,
small machines could even use X11 via nfs.

I am really pleased to see the Xretina X server (haven't seen it before),
it's quite fast and looks awfully good!
It was also fun to use X on an A2024  with 1024x1024 in mono, workstation-
feelings!

You may ask what we have done other than testing and discusing - not much :-)
We were all to busy to use NetBSD, rather than to develop anything new.

I finished the X11-FAQ (needs some more polishment, will release RSN) and
began a 5MB minimal Rootfs, which will handle simple network-stuff and
will also have X11 support *grin*.

All in all - not very productive, but much fun!

-- 
Markus Illenseer

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]>

> too easy (I cite hubertf) to install slip: just 3 commands needed, no
                                                 ^^^

only 2: :-)

1.) slattach -s <speed> /dev/tty00
2.) ifconfig sl0 <local_ip> netmask 255.255.255.0 <remote_ip>

> further headaches :-) (Contrary to the AmigaDos-Freaks with Envoy)

:-)

> small machines could even use X11 via nfs.

By the way, are those binaries released now? I missed to copy them,
but I'd really like to have them... 

> it's quite fast and looks awfully good!

Hm... have you seen DageeX on the Picasso II? THAT was fast...!

Regards,

        Hubert

=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] === IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "Re: Meeting Karlsruhe" (Feb 9, 7:57pm)

> 2.) ifconfig sl0 <local_ip> netmask 255.255.255.0 <remote_ip>

 3) route add default juliet

[...]
> but I'd really like to have them... 

 Hem, ok, i will make a nice archive out of X11 binaries
 (you really interested in xspringies, xboulderdash and xasteroids? .-)

> Hm... have you seen DageeX on the Picasso II? THAT was fast...!

 I have :-) But thats not NetBSD :-/
 (DaggeX beats everything seen for Amiga concerning X)

-- 
Markus Illenseer