Subject: 5380 SCSI support added!

From: "William J. Coldwell" <billc@iceCuBE>

Well, I have an A1200 with a CSA Twelve Gauge that comes up running NetBSD.   
The code that I gave Michael Hitch has proved to be quite functional, and  
should be released in the next kernel (provided Michael is ready).  With his  
ability to wrap a driver around my code, we should be able to have IDE  
support in the kernel shortly!

Mr. Hopps.. how about a compromise.. if you won't do an AGA driver, how about  
letting us be able to use Productivity mode of the ECS chipset?

Way cool!

--
William J. Coldwell | Intel Corp. CPD-Mobile | "Get Warped!"
[email-masked] | [email-masked]  | Warp Engine: Macrosystems US
Cryogenic Software  | Work(4), !(speak(4))   | 040@40, SCSI2, 128M@4/2/2/2

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)

> should be released in the next kernel (provided Michael is ready).  With his  

  I'm not sure you would recognize much of your code in the driver. 
It's a conglomeration of the 33C93 scsi.c structure, and the
5380-specific code is kind of a mix of the Macintosh 5380 driver, Bill's
code, and my own knowledge of the 5380.

  The driver is just a very minimal implementation that works.  It needs
some more work before being ready for public consumption (unless someone
really wants to see it).  I plan on adding support psuedo-DMA for data
transfers (at least for my board and the CSA Twelve Gauge).  I've also
got a Supra Word Sync controller that I want to add support for.  From
looking at the Supra driver I have, it looks like the driver supports 5
different implementations of Supra boards.  I haven't figured out if I
can do a single Supra driver to handle all boards, or if I will need to
create several different driver entries.

  What now constitutes a "next kernel"?  Any changes I pass on to Chris
Hopps will be merged into the sun-lamp current tree, so will be included
in any kernels created from that tree.  Is Markus or someone going to be
creating kernels from the sun-lamp tree and making them available?

> support in the kernel shortly!

  Don't expect as quick a response on an IDE driver as I was able to do
with the 5380 driver.  I have a homebuilt 5380 board to test with, and
several years of experience working on the driver for that board, so it
was quite easy to get the 5380 driver working.  I don't have much
experience with programming an IDE driver (I did try to do that on my
A1000 scsi board, but wasn't very sucessful getting it to work right). I
also don't have an A1200 or A4000 to test a driver with [unless someone
is willing to loan or donate such a machine :-)], so trying to test out
the driver would probably be a longer process.

  Another thing I was just thinking about in regards to an IDE driver is
how best to fit it into the NetBSD device configuration.  I can think of
two approaches:  one being a separate disk driver with a separate major
device number (similar to my now-defunct rzdriver I did for the initial
PPI Zeus SCSI), and the other being a driver that simulates a SCSI
driver.  The first approach is probably easier to implement, but would
require creating a different set of devices (or it could completely 
replace the sddriver code and use the same major number as the scsi
disks - but that would not allow use of SCSI controllers).  The second
approach would be more work since the driver would have to emulate the
SCSI commands, but it would allow a more consistent usage of the disk
devices.

Michael

-- 
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  [email-masked]
Computer Consultant			BITNET:  [email-masked]
Office of Systems and Computing Services
Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA

---

From: [email-masked]

> creating kernels from the sun-lamp tree and making them available?

I took a dump of our sunlamp mirror Friday, and am already running a "current"
kernel. Now, gcc 2.5.8 is compiling, and if all goes well (shared libraries
seem to have changed a bit) I'll have a new bin-dist soon. Including
a kernel binary, of course, for those that hate to compile their kernels
themselves.

> SCSI commands, but it would allow a more consistent usage of the disk

Hm.. I know ADos chose the second approach, confusing all those 1200 users
into thinking they DID have a scsi controller nevertheless.. I'd say, if 
you CAN fit it into the scsi driver neatly, it would probably be a neat thing,
however, all the other *ix's I know have a separate driver for this.

-Markus
-- 
CHUUG/EUnet Switzerland				Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35	Tel: +41 1 291 45 80	[email-masked]
CH-8004 Zuerich		Fax: +41 1 291 46 42	S=mw;P=EUnet;A=EUnet;C=CH

---

From: [email-masked] (Ty Sarna)

> however, all the other *ix's I know have a separate driver for this.

...including NetBSD/i386. They have seperate sd (scsi) and wd
(MFM/RLL/ESDI/IDE) drivers. Also, I think NetBSD/hp300 has a hd
(HPIB-interfaced) driver :-)

-- 
Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked
[email-masked]        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."

---

From: Olaf Seibert <[email-masked]>

> (HPIB-interfaced) driver :-)

If we copy that, we can finally connect our 2040 disks to our
BSD machines!

:-)

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert       D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96 
\X/ I can bicycle on both sides of the road - [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tobias Abt)

> the driver would probably be a longer process.

I don't know if it would help you anything, but I have some sources for an
IDE-Device for the Amiga. If you want it, I could send it to you.

> Michael

Bye,                    \|/
  Tobias                @ @
+-------------------oOO-(_)-OOo-----------------+
| Tobias Abt                                    |
| email: [email-masked] |
|   irc: tabt@#AmigaGer                         |
+-----------------------------------------------+