Subject: Audio and Floppy drivers

From: [email-masked]

Anybody get anywhere with audio or floppy drivers? I saw the
	graphics cc_audio.c device code had some audio support but no
	apparent way to get at it outside of the kernel.

		-Rob

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "Audio and Floppy drivers" (Feb 14, 3:17pm)

On Feb 14,  3:17pm, [email-masked] wrote:
> Subject: Audio and Floppy drivers
> 

 Well well :-) I have looked at the audio device, but i wasn't sure
 where to start.

 Get the files 
  bsd_audio.c     bsd_audioreg.h  bsd_audiovar.h

 from sun-lamp in the sparc/dev archive,

 also get sox to look at the ulaw-to-8-bit-converter.

 Just one problem: Amiga has 8Bit Sound, Sparc has 14Bit ...

-- 
Markus Illenseer

---

From: [email-masked] (Brad Pepers)

> 	apparent way to get at it outside of the kernel.

I'm not sure about the audio drivers but I am working on a floppy
driver. I have it kind of working (will read data most of the time)
but its in pretty rough shape right now. I had asked mw (did you
get my mail?) and ... (can't remember who else) for some floppy
driver code someone else has done. I was hoping looking at someone
elses code would help me see whats wrong with mine. No word back yet.

The status of the driver right now is:
	- it will read (not write) tracks properly sometimes
	- it is just a character device for now
	- the millisecond delay code is a loop (ick!)

I have code written for writing but am not worrying about it for now.

Tracks are only read properly once out of every five or so tries (I
think it is something to do with the sync not working).

The driver is a character device now because I don't know netbsd well
and it seemed easier than a block device.

The millisecond timer could be done using one of the cia timers but I
haven't bothered yet.

+----------------------------Ren & Stimpy--------------------------------+
| "Psst. Hey Guido. It's all so clear to me now. I'm the keeper of the   |
| cheese. And you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it. That's |
| why he's gonna kill us. So we gotta beat it. Yeah. Before he lets      |
| loose the marmosets on us! Don't worry, little missy! I'll save you!"  |
+------------------ Brad Pepers -- [email-masked] -------------------+

---

From: Olaf Seibert <[email-masked]>

> elses code would help me see whats wrong with mine. No word back yet.

I don't know if it would be of any help, but you could take a look at
my messydisk.device, part of MSH 1.30 (available from aminet ftp sites).
It uses trackdisk for stuff like seeking, but it does (under 1.3) its
own disk DMA, which works fine. It then proceeds to do its own pc-style
MFM decoding, so for Amiga format disk you'd have to do that somewhat
different. If you're interested, I could contribute some twice as fast
MFM encoding/decoding functions, the same as those in the commercial
edition of MSH, and miscellaneous small bug fixes.

> think it is something to do with the sync not working).

The wordsync is used in MSH, and its use is rather simple. Just put
the sync word in the DSKSYNC register and set the WORDSYNC bit in
the appropriate control register. That's all there is to it. But
be sure to request a read of about (1 track + 1 sector), because
the first sector you get might be incomplete (there is a sync after
the sector header, at least in pc formats, so you might have a whole
sector without its identification).

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert       D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
\X/ There are no lemurs in this post	      [email-masked]

---

From: "hamish (h.i.) macdonald" <[email-masked]>

>> I had asked mw  (did you get my mail?)  and ... (can't remember who
>> else) for  some  floppy driver code someone  else  has done.  I was
>> hoping looking at someone elses code would  help me see whats wrong
>> with mine. No word back yet.

As of 0.07, the Linux floppy driver seems pretty reliable for
reading/writing ADOS format disks.  You might want to use it as a
reference.

Like Brad's driver, it is currently using a delay loop for the track
stepping and various other timings.  Like him, I want to change it to
use the cia timers, and also change it to be completely interrupt
driven.

One other thing I hate about it is that every time a block is written,
it writes the track to the disk.  This can make large writes really
slow.  I'd like to put in some sort of 10-20ms delayed write
mechanism, but I'm a little bit worried about the interactions with
"sync".

---

From: [email-masked] (Lutz Vieweg)

>  Just one problem: Amiga has 8Bit Sound, Sparc has 14Bit ...

Hmm... this sounds as if it were sensible to write an audio-device
for third-party sound cards such as I have... the more I think of
it, the more I like the idea of having a sun-sparc-compatible
/dev/audio... :)

cu, Lutz Vieweg

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "Re: Audio and Floppy drivers" (Feb 15, 11:01am)

> it, the more I like the idea of having a sun-sparc-compatible

 Which card you speaking of? Would be a nice idea to have the
 Rockwell (?) chip of the Sparc in an Amiga anyway :)

-- 
Markus Illenseer

---

From: [email-masked] (Lutz Vieweg)

Hi Markus Illenseer, on Feb 17 you wrote:

>  Which card you speaking of?

Oh, can't you guess it? :) - It's the Toccata from MacroSystem,
of course... (using the SoundPort[TM] chip from Analog Devices).

But of course this device is currently only an idea of mine,
I won't start it before the Retina Z3 drivers are up and running.

cu, Lutz Vieweg