Subject: fsck finds DUPs

From: Michael Graff <[email-masked]>

My roomates and a friend of mine have been getting a lot of DUP errors
when writing a large number of files and then rebooting.

I just got the same thing.  This seems to happen on both IDE and SCSI cards...
no clue why.  However, I *did* sync and used ``shutdown -h now'' so it should
have been ok.

Anyone else having this, or is the phase of the moon wrong
?

--Michael

---

From: "Charles M. Hannum" <[email-masked]>

Well, you've supplied *VERY* little information.

What kind of machine (CPU, etc.)?  How much memory?  How are the disks
partitioned?  Old or new format file systems?  What *is* the phase of
the moon, anyway?

I certainly haven't seen a problem like you described, on numerous
machines.

---

From: Jarle Greipsland <[email-masked]>

> partitioned?  Old or new format file systems?  What *is* the phase of

I've experienced this error just recently.  Approximate description
follows:
I'd just made and installed 'world'.  When /etc/daily was run it complained
about a slew of 'bad file descriptors', so I decided to run fsck.  I
rebooted the system and my /usr partition, an old format file system,
didn't fsck cleanly.  Two 'sections' of 10-20 DUP messages each convinced
fsck to suggest that I run it manually.  (As a gesture to our sensitive
readers I'll omit the passage about fsck creating a bogus lost+found
directory, and the observation that stupidity and fsck combined, i.e. 'fsck
-c2 -y /dev/rwd0f', can produce a floating point exception when the
partition has inconsistencies and that sometimes 'newfs' is a handy
program.)

.data
System (kernel and world) built and installed just before fsck failure.
Computer: 486DX2-66, EISA motherboard, Intel brand, 8MB memory, Mach32
graphics accelerator, WD8013EBT ethernet board, aic6360 scsi controller.
Two scsi disks in the system.
Disktype: Maxtor 345MB IDE
Disktab-info
Maxtor-7345A|NetBSD installation generated:\
	:dt=ST506:ty=winchester:\
	:nc#790:ns#57:nt#15:\
	:se#512:\
	:pa#15390:oa#0:ta=4.2BSD:ba#8192:fa#1024:\
	:pb#59850:ob#15390:tb=swap:\
	:pc#675450:oc#0:\
	:pd#675450:od#0:\
	:pe#20520:oe#75240:te=4.2BSD:be#8192:fe#1024:\
	:pf#579690:of#95760:tf=4.2BSD:bf#8192:ff#1024:
Fstab-info:
/dev/wd0a / ufs rw 1 1
/dev/wd0b /tmp mfs rw,-s=32490 0 0
/dev/wd0e /var ufs rw 1 2
/dev/wd0f /usr ufs rw 1 2
Misc: There is also two scsi-disks in the system.  One of them has the
'obj' tree.  I haven't seen any errors on these two.  They're all of the
new file system persuasion.
Phase of the moon: The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full) (as of today :-)

						-jarle
----
"On a clear disk you can seek forever."
				-- Peter O'Toole (Trinity College, Dublin)