Subject: /etc/rc.local vs. /etc/rc.{d,0-6}

From: "L. Todd Masco" <[email-masked]>

Does anybody here understand the run-levels as implemented in SVR4,
 IE whether it needs any kernel support?

I'll probably put something together on my NetBSD system that'll
 replace the rc.local with the /etc/rc*/ files and make it available,
 but I'm wondering whether we'll need any kernel support.  I don't
 have any SunOS 5 (Solaris 2) machines at my fingertipes anymore,
 so what I end up with probably won't be identical to SVR4, but
 it should be close, at least conceptually.

(I only ask because of the "kernel security level" message when NetBSD
 starts up and shuts down -- what does this entail/what operations
 are allowed/disallowed at different security levels, etc.)
--
L. Todd Masco  | "Which part of 'shall not be infringed' didn't
[email-masked]  |   you understand?"

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "/etc/rc.local vs. /etc/rc.{d,0-6}" (Sep 5, 9:48pm)

>  IE whether it needs any kernel support?

I think yes, although I can't tell you what has to be done exactly.

>  it should be close, at least conceptually.

Something as in Solaris2 would be fine, just don't use /etc/inittab to start
/etc/rc (as it's done on (some? many?) Linux systems.

>  are allowed/disallowed at different security levels, etc.)

man init

BTW, you might mention this on current-users in order to reach people running
other ports as well. Maybe they might be interrested in the SysV-thing, too.

All the best,

           Hubert

-- 
=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] == IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================
    Click <A HREF="http://dusk.rz.uni-regensburg.de/~hubert">here.</A>
                           (soon to be back!:-)

---

From: [email-masked] (Rob Healey)

> I think yes, although I can't tell you what has to be done exactly.
	Nope, it's all smoke and mirrors done by init. No kernel mod's
	should be necessary. All the init mode change does is run
	the kill scripts for the current mode and the start scripts for
	the requested mode. Init also listens on a pipe for requests from
	telinit and such.

	Ummm, to quoteith from my SS5 Solaris 2.3 inittab:
s2:23:wait:/sbin/rc2                    >/dev/console 2>&1 </dev/console

	i.e. the top level rc scripts are all invoked from the inittab
	as init scans the tab when the mode requests comes in and runs
	current mode scripts with the stop argument and requested mode
	scripts with the start argument.

> other ports as well. Maybe they might be interrested in the SysV-thing, too.
	Or you might insite holy jihad's from the rabid BSD'ers who look
	upon any SVR4ism as sacrilige and as an act of a heathen that
	must be converted or destroyed! B^).

	I've gotten in to this religeous war before so I'll sit this one
	out although I will say I find the SVR4 init system much more
	appealing than BSD's.

		-Rob

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "Re: /etc/rc.local vs. /etc/rc.{d,0-6}" (Sep 9, 9:17am)

> s2:23:wait:/sbin/rc2                    >/dev/console 2>&1 </dev/console

Sorry, I was unprecise.

What I meant was to let rc2 start the individual start/stop-scripts, und do
everything on its own, as /etc/rc does.

Hubert