Subject: Re: Installing X

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "Re: Installing X" (Sep 9, 9:04am)

> > Fatal server error:
> > no screens found
> > AmigaChangekbdTranslation: Can't open keyboard: no such file or directory
> > x connection to :0.0 broken(explicit kill or server error)
>
>  I have the feeling that your system lacks of /dev/kbd and of /dev/view*

Not necessarily. In the current X11R6-packages, the X-server is not made
setuid-root, which will give problems if you startx as non-root. To fix it:

chown root /usr/X11R6/bin/Xamiga
chmod 4755 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xamiga

>  Remove the line for ttye1 in /etc/ttys - and read the man page of getty once
> in a lifetime :-)

Better way is to set ttye1 to "off" instead of commenting it out. :)

Hubert

-- 
=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] == IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================