Subject: Re: duplicated inodes <[email-masked]>

From: jason downs <[email-masked]>

In message <[email-masked]>, "Michael Graff" writes:
>>does anyone else see a lot of duplicated inodes after during a lot of
>>disk access? (a lot == building the world or something equally as large.)
>
>Yes!  Or after untarring a large set of files, etc.
>
>fsck loves to find DUPs for me when I do this.
>
>I've mailed a report of this here, but I don't have enough info to nail it
>down.  All are runngin fairly current kernels, and are either SCSI or IDE,
>none are both.  They vary from 386sx to 486dx, no cyrix chips.
>
>It seems to be somewhat usage-related -- the more full the disk gets, the
>better the chance for a DUP, but this may just be because there are
>more inodes in use, too.  *shrug*

one would assume that this is a FS-level problem, then, since i'm seeing
it on HPIB drives. since there's very little in common between SCSI,
IDE, and HPIB...

what's unfortunate is that the kernel will more than likely eventually panic
because of this corruption.

--
                    ----------------------------------------
-------------------// jason downs // [email-masked] //------------------
                   ----------------------------------------      JD105
		  http://www.CSOS.ORST.EDU/downsj/index.html
	       I remember the day when Sun made decent computers.