Subject: I don't want to wait!

From: [email-masked] (Gerd Truschinski)

I have waiting for the new release for two and a half month now.
And that is enough. The problem is not that I have to wait.
The problem is that none of the people who know say something.

'cgd' say something about 'some days' in august and he say that
he is writing on the papers for the distribution some weeks ago.

That is ok. I know that no one could give us a day of release until
it will be finished.

But I think that the core group could give us a timeframe when they know 
that it will be delayed from the day they suggest.

I want to hear now a 'two weeks from now or six (eight, twelve) weeks
from now'. They are overdue, not to distribute a new system. They are
overdue to tell us some new stuff about the delivery date.

I read most of the 'current' stuff and I see that there are some
problems to solve.

May be they should write a note each week. Something that say how the
problems are comming in and how they are solved. 

Waiting for the flames,
/gT/

-- 
Gerd Truschinski         | INTERNET:    [email-masked]
c/o GMD-First  Berlin    | Yes, this is the sort of scenario I 
12489 Berlin-Adlershof   | think up to amuse myself in the evenings.
Rudower Chausee 5 (13.7) | -- with confirmation from Larisa

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>

> The problem is that none of the people who know say something.

There may not be any "people who know".  I suspect that the core is as
much in the dark on when 1.0 will actually happen as anyone else, at
this point.

Anyway, if you don't want to wait, don't!  You could do what I'm doing,
and run NetBSD-current (at this point -current is probably quite close
to the eventual 1.0 anyway).  You could do what other people are doing,
and run Linux or FreeBSD or something else.

> from now'.

Fine.  "Eight weeks from now."  (No, I have no particular authority;
since you don't seem to mind inaccurate dates, that one is probably as
inaccurate as any.)

> May be they should write a note each week.  Something that say how
> the problems are comming in and how they are solved.

That'd sure improve getting it out the door, wouldn't it now?!  [heavy
sarcastic tone]

Why not subscribe to netbsd-bugs and/or the sources changes list (I
forget what it is; send to majordomo and ask)?  Then you can see how
the problems are coming in and being solved _without_ loading down the
core people....

					der Mouse

			    [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Berger)

In article <[email-masked]>,
>The problem is that none of the people who know say something.

If you're that anxious, do what I did.

1) Install from the FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 floppies.  Put the basic "bin_tgz"
FreeBSD distribution on your system, and also kermit or some other way of
calling out so you can use SLIP.
2) FTP the NetBSD binary tar files.
3) Go to single user mode.  Save your crucial FreeBSD binaries in
/usr/freebin (ls, cp, mv, mount, mkdir, rmdir, tar, gzip).
4) Unpack the NetBSD tar files in /usr/net.
5) for f in /usr/net/usr
mv $f /usr
...and so on for /etc, /var, whatever.
6) disklabel -b /dev/wd0a (or whatever).
7) cp netbsdaha /netbsd

Congratulations,  you're now running NetBSD 1.0 beta.

It's sick, and it's a lot of effort, but it does work.   (Just don't
complain to me if it doesn't :-).

-- 
........................................................................
  Peter G. Berger, Esq.  Telerama Public Access Internet, Pittsburgh
Internet: [email-masked] Phone: 412/481-3505 Fax: 412/481-8568
    http://www.lm.com/ gopher://gopher.lm.com/ ftp://ftp.lm.com/

---

From: "John F. Woods" <[email-masked]>

> that it will be delayed from the day they suggest.

I am currently stuck out in the middle of a desert after the end of two weeks
here trying to finish up a device driver that was promised (by someone else)
for the beginning of August, was supposed to be finished the beginning of
September, and was to have taken only a week to tune onsite, and I'm going
to have to return after some hardware gets fixed back home.  I sure HOPE
I'll get it all working the second time.  And I am getting paid for all this.

Somehow I fail entirely to be even remotely shocked that a group of volunteers
working on an entire operating system have been delayed a month.  Software
just has this habit of eating up all the time in the world.

> problems are comming in and how they are solved. 

Having had my software delayed by interminable status meetings, I frankly think
they should not waste their time on notes like this.  Not that I wouldn't MIND
seeing them, of course, but I strongly suspect that they'll share my views on
the relative usefulness of time spent telling other people what they would be
working on if they weren't spending their time writing about it.

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>

> And you can't get 1.0_BETA without first installing 0.9 ([...]).

That's funny, I had no problem.  I just booted the machine diskless
under SunOS, mounted the disk, unpacked the tars, and rebooted from the
disk with no problem at all.  (Okay, so I had to hand-build a /dev on
the disk because there wasn't one in the tarball.)

Remember, this is current-users, not port-i386. :-)

					der Mouse

---

From: Brian Moore <[email-masked]>

Well, after a few people asked me how I installed NetBSD 1.0_BETA on my i386
machine, I decided to put the install docs, floppies and tar files up on
ftp.eecs.umich.edu.  They can be found in /BSD/NetBSD/misc/1.0-Beta.  All these
files were made with the sources for the i386 port, current as of 9/21 ( the
last time sup scan was run on sun-lamp ).  I have used these files to install
NetBSD-1.0 Beta on a Dell 486 with 12MB, with an Adaptec 1542B and a split
DOS/UNIX IDE boot drive.  Before you run off and get these files, please read
the rest of this.  These files are not, I repeat not, supported by the NetBSD
core team, I did this myself for my own use, and enough people asked about
them that I just made them public.  If you want to use these, remember you use
them at your own risk, buyer beware, look both ways before crossing, do not
remove this tag, please wait 30 minutes before entering the water ( any others
I miss? ).  If they work for you, then great!  If not, then just wait until the
real NetBSD 1.0 release is done.  And lastly, before you go and grab this
stuff, remember these files were made by the same person who couldn't figure
out that w actually needs the set-gid bits set to access /dev/kmem ( Duh! ).
So remember that while you ftp those files. :)

Brian Moore
NetBSD mirror head honcho at ftp.eecs.umich.edu 
[email-masked]