Subject: Re: /opt (NOT!)

From: [email-masked]

> it's too "SVr4"ish.   Do you have the slightest idea of how init
> levels work?  Do you *like* installation processes that involve
> editting your only rc.local?

Eh, you can either add a bogous command to rc.local and cause the machine
to freeze at startup instead of booting, or you can write those commands
into rc.XY/SYZfoobar and achieve the same nice lockup...

> Look, having two divergent flavors of UNIX is a *bad* *thing*.  The

Two? Get alive...

> best we can do to address this problem is to allow and encourage
> cross-pollination between SV and BSD;  It's already started with SVR4,
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^(1)

SVR4 is SYSV, with BSD-"compatibility", apparently done from people who didn't
know at all what they really had to emulate. I'd make (1) "cross-pollution"...

> with much tighter limits, too!), amd file descriptor passing

Oh, you mean access-right passing on UX-domain sockets? That's not something
new isn't it?:-)

> easy.  SVR4 is by far the most BSDish of the UNIces about, thanks largely
> to Sun.  They took a lot of good ideas and put 'em to work in SVR4 because
> they worked and addressed real problems, added real functionality.

Eh, talking about SVR4 or Solaris2?

> ignored the bug in fgets() that the Morris Worm took advantage of?  Do

That was gets(), as fgets() does have a length-argument, right?:-)

> you still have world readable encrypted passwords in /etc/passwd?

You want -lshadow kludge then, instead of the master.passwd hiding currently
used?

> it, we can push it to the main NetBSD folks following that.

We already had the discussion about init levels on the main list...

-Markus
-- 
EUnet Switzerland   Tel:     +41 1 291 45 80	Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35    Hotline: +41 1 291 45 60	[email-masked]
CH-8004 Zuerich	    Fax:     +41 1 291 46 42	S=mw;P=EUnet;A=EUnet;C=CH
>Solaris 2 is not an upgrade from Solaris 1. They just want you to THINK it is.