Subject: NetBSD source for Amiga?

From: Daniel Widenfalk <[email-masked]>

Hi!
===

I've recently installed the 1.0-pre-release2 binary distribution from
ftp.uni-regensburg.de om my Amiga and since it works very well I'd also
like to have the kernel source code so I can fix my own FastlaneZ3 driver
and some other personal touches.

I got some source from ftp.luth.se:/pub/os/NetBSD-Amiga/src... something,
it was called bsdsyssrc744.tar.gz and contained a lot of source. I also
got src0712.tar.gz from the same site.

This is all very nice, but I can't for my life find an IDE driver in the source
so I'm wondering if I've got the correct realy up-to-date latest brand new
version. If anybody know where I can get my greedy hands on this little
diamond of software source, please let me know!

My config contains SASC under AmigaDOS (Of course :-) Sad about SAS dropping
support though!) and C, C++, Gnu C & C++ under NetBSD, so I think I have 
enough tools to get something running.

Happy NetBSD'ing from home
/Daniel Widenfalk

---

From: Daniel Widenfalk <[email-masked]>

> Does this mean you do have a Fastlane driver?
> 
No, but some fast backwards engeneering tests have given me some ideas I'd
like to try! Just let me say: It's amazing what one can acomplish when one
doesn't known what one can't do! I.e. I WANT A DRIVER...

So, I'll try to get my hands on the latest version and start hacking!

/Daniel Widenfalk

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "NetBSD source for Amiga?" (Sep 25, 12:27pm)

> got src0712.tar.gz from the same site.

Ugh, this is WAYS out of date!

> diamond of software source, please let me know!

ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD-current/src or so; this is mirrored on
ftp.iastate.ed:/pub/netbsd.

> enough tools to get something running.

You won't need any AmigaOS-programs as you have to do the whole developping
from NetBSD. The current NetBSD sources are *not* set up for compilation unter
AmigaOS, and it will be an pain to you if you try. :-)

Hubert

-- 
=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] == IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================

---

From: "Matthias Scheler" <[email-masked]>

Hi Daniel,

> doesn't known what one can't do! I.e. I WANT A DRIVER...

A Fastlane driver won't be easy, if you don't have documentation don't
waste your time.

-- 
Matthias Scheler
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Niklas Hallqvist)

>>>>> "Matthias" == Matthias Scheler <[email-masked]> writes:

Matthias>     Hi Daniel,

Matthias> you wrote in <[email-masked]>:
>> No, but some fast backwards engeneering tests have given me some
>> ideas I'd like to try! Just let me say: It's amazing what one can
>> acomplish when one doesn't known what one can't do! I.e. I WANT A
>> DRIVER...

Matthias> A Fastlane driver won't be easy, if you don't have
Matthias> documentation don't waste your time.

I must say I don't like such assertions, no matter how correct you
are.  It would be rather nice to know why you state such facts.  Does
the driver use a special undocumented SCSI controller chip?  Is it
impossible to drive the chip programmatically at the same time as the
DMAC is almost impossible to figure out?  If you explain your position
it'll be easier for the guy to understand why you consider it a waste
of time.

Of course, I don't say this would be an easy project.  I just don't
like the attitude when saying "Don't even bother..." to a positive
mind without explaining why.

I'd say, if he calls the SCSI chip manufacturer explaining what he aims
to do, he'll probably get databooks for free (I and Markus W have done
so in the past).  Then he just have to read the AmigaDOS driver to
understand where the chip is mapped.  If he is satisfied with programmed
I/O this is all he needs to know.  Now if he wants DMA rolling he has
to contact the manufacturers of the board and see if they like to share
info (which they often don't want by some obscure reason) or read the
driver some more.  I did this with the GVP without too big problems
although, I must admit, the DMAC is very simple and it really took some
time understanding the AmigaDOS driver.

Niklas

Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50
Molndalsvagen 95	Email: [email-masked]
S-412 63  GOTEBORG, Sweden

---

From: "Matthias Scheler" <[email-masked]>

Hi Niklas,

you wrote in <[email-masked]>:
> are.

Your problem. :-)

> It would be rather nice to know why you state such facts.

I know the programmer of the "z3scsi.device".

> Does the driver use a special undocumented SCSI controller chip?

It uses a chip currently not supported by NetBSD.

> I just don't like the attitude when saying "Don't even bother..."

I said he shouldn't try without documentation, not more not less.

-- 
Matthias Scheler
[email-masked]

---

From: Daniel Widenfalk <[email-masked]>

Hello again!
============

As I seem to have started a little debate about how hard it is to reverse
engeneer a driver, I'd just like to say:

If a driver was hard to create, the code is either:
   1) Badly done. (Which I do NOT think it is, since my card works great!)
   2) Have to deal with complicated harware interface.
   3) Have to deal with hardware bugs.

In cases 2 and 3 the programmer has already implemented the tricks in the
driver, and all (?) I have to do is disassemble his code and see what he does.

I admit it won't be easy, and hardware docs are a great help. But as I almost
said, the hardware docs are implemented in the driver!

Enough about that! I know I'll trash my HD a lot of times, but I WILL SUCCEED!
Even if it takes me a year or two.

To help me somewhat I'd like to know which hardware/software revisions of
the FastlaneZ3 card is out in action. If you can help me, send HW/SW revisions
to: [email-masked]
Please include your own e-mail address if I need to ask further questions.

And Matthias S., if you know the programmer. Can you give me his e-mail adr.
Ask him first! I don't want to mail to somebody who doesn't want me to mail to
him.

I like to read my mail, so responses are apreaciated. Help is accepted. And
checks can be send by mail to me. (I don't know why anybody would send me
checks, but I can allways hope :-)

/Daniel Widenfalk

P.S. If anybody happens to sit on the HW/SW docs for the FastlandZ3, let me
     know. It would be embarasing (corrent?) to reinvent the wheel. D.S.

---

From: "Matthias Scheler" <[email-masked]>

Hi Daniel,

> And Matthias S., if you know the programmer. Can you give me his e-mail adr.

I'm not shure about that. :-)
Ok, I'll risk it: [email-masked]

-- 
Matthias Scheler
[email-masked]