Subject: NetBSD install problems

From: [email-masked]

I got the netbsd kernel from:
rrzs3.rz.uni-regensburg.de:/pub/os/NetBSD/NetBSD-Amiga/bin-dist/1.0-pre-release2
and in the floppies directory I got the inst-10.fs

I prepared my hd, and made the floppy (used the programs from the utils
directory).
I started up with loadbsd -b netbsd and it printed some messages, 
found my HD and then it didn't do anything more. I've tried pressing every
button on my mouse, joystick and keyboard :-)

The messages were (somewhat shortened :-):
NetBSD 1.0 BETA (INSTALL) Sep 2
...
512 Pages real
358 pages avail
...
fd0 ... not configured
...
sd0 323 Mb 1780 Cyl 7 heads 53 sec 512 bytes/sec

There was a reference to my memory nodes and processor/FPU and they looked
ok.

My setup is:
Amiga 500 with 1Mb chip, GVP Impact series 2 (the zorro II board) with one
hd and 4Mb memory, a VXL *30 board with 68030 and 68882 @ 40MHz and
2 Mb memory (disabled while I tried this, or NetBSD would only find those 2),
WB3.1 and nothing more extra.

The GVP has a 4.13 rom. Is this the problem? (Is it worth upgrading anyway?)
The harddrive is an old (1985?) drive that is called Micro<something>.
It works well in amiga mode.

Thanks in advance.

/Sebastian

Ps. The GVP card is connected to the 500 with a Grandslam Z2 converted...

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "NetBSD install problems" (Sep 20, 9:15pm)

> sd0 323 Mb 1780 Cyl 7 heads 53 sec 512 bytes/sec

So, if the machine hung at this point (SCSI-ID stayed on, yes?), then you seem
to have a problem with syncronous transfer on your harddisk. Get binpatch, and
set the (32-bit)int at _sbic_inhibit_sync to 0.

> hd and 4Mb memory, a VXL *30 board with 68030 and 68882 @ 40MHz and
                       ^^^^^^^
Doesn't this board have a '030 without MMU???

Hubert

-- 
=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] == IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked]

I'm not sure about it because I haven't installed NetBSD yet (due to a
polling Evolution controller from Macrosystems which there is no driver
for) but I have often read about at least 4MB needed to run NetBSD.
These 4MB have to form a continous block. Therefore your 2MB RAM on
the 030 board maybe not enough.

ciao ... Heiko Nardmann

---

From: William J Coldwell <[email-masked]>

^^^^^^^
>Doesn't this board have a '030 without MMU???

And Hubert wins the prize! ;-)  The 40MHz 68030 are EC/LC only parts... no  
MMU.  No MMU, no NetBSD/Amiga :-(.

--
 William J. Coldwell - [email-masked] - Cryogenic Software

---

From: [email-masked] (Niklas Hallqvist)

>>>>> "Bill" == William J Coldwell <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> My setup is: Amiga 500 with 1Mb chip, GVP Impact series 2 (the
>>> zorro II board) with one hd and 4Mb memory, a VXL *30 board with
>>> 68030 and 68882 @ 40MHz and
Bill>                        ^^^^^^^
>> Doesn't this board have a '030 without MMU???

Bill> And Hubert wins the prize! ;-) The 40MHz 68030 are EC/LC only
Bill> parts... no MMU.  No MMU, no NetBSD/Amiga :-(.

Well, it's not really "No MMU", but rather "not entirely functional MMU".
He wouldn't have gone as far as he has unless the MMU was slightly
working at least.  With luck, NetBSD/Amiga may not exhibit his MMU's
faultyness.  Let him try without sync enabled, and then let him decide
if he wants to run NetBSD when knowing that any day his system may crash
causing loss of data or whatever.  The EC parts are (well at least were)
really "real" 68030, where the MMU was malfunctional.  Instead of
throwing them away,  Moto thought that they may as well get some money
out of them.  Unargueably, it's a good idea, as it lowers the price on
the functional '030s as well.  It's only too bad that some people
may get hurt when they start using computers, earlier not in need of a
MMU, in a way requiring a MMU.

Niklas

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "Re: NetBSD install problems" (Sep 21, 1:20am)

> And Hubert wins the prize! ;-)  The 40MHz 68030 are EC/LC only parts... no

What price do I get? A free installation of NetBSD? ;-)

Hubert