Subject: vm_fault and contiguous mem

From: Patrick Johansson <[email-masked]>

Recently someone had problems getting NetBSD working with non-contiguous
memory (I don't remember the details), he got some nasty vm_faults. But
the same thing happens to my 8Meg A4000/040 when pushing it to its limit.
Have I configured something wrong or do we have a bug here?

The details:

I haven't got the disk space to do a full install. I wanted to test
NetBSD before getting a second disk so I have squeezed it into a total of
45 Megs. That makes a 12M swap partition, a bit small but only for
testing...

When starting a lot of big processes I eventually get a vm_fault and a
MMU_fault panic. This does not happen every time, sometimes the processes
quietly die.

Since the lack of space means no compiler, I resorted to this simple test:

#$/bin/tcsh
# Filename: hang
echo 'looping...'
hang

This one will crash on my setup.

- Patrick