Subject: gdb is broken

From: Arthur Hoffmann <[email-masked]>

Hello,

I posted yesterday already about gdb not working anymore with newer
kernels.. Here is the exact error message:

root@atze(6)$ gdb hoffmann1         
(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x28a0: file hoffmann1.c, line 36.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/hoffmann/vogle/ass1/hoffmann-ass1/hoffmann1 
reading register pc (#17): Invalid argument.
(gdb) s
No current frame
(gdb) quit
The program is running.  Quit anyway (and kill it)? (y or n) y
root@atze(7)$ 

I really would like to get gdb running again, but unfortunateley I
deleted all my older kernels.

I tried to compile gdb-4.13. since m68k-cbm-netbsd and m68k-hp-netbsd
weren't supported I configured it for m68k-hp-bsd. It all compiled
fine, no errors, no wanings, but when trying this gdb it spits the
following at me:

root@atze(18)$ gdb hoffmann1
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for
details.
GDB 4.13 (m68k-hp-bsd), Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation,
Inc...

ridiculous string table size (925644340 bytes).

(gdb) break main
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
(gdb) quit
root@atze(19)$ 

When this gdb finds a stripped file it does the same as the old one:

root@atze(21)$ gdb hoffmann1
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for
details.
GDB 4.13 (m68k-hp-bsd), Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation,
Inc...
(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/hoffmann/vogle/ass1/hoffmann-ass1/hoffmann1 
reading register pc (#17): Invalid argument.
(gdb) 

It would be really nice if someone could help me getting either gdb
working, especially since I'm working on an assignment at the moment..

Thanks for any help.

Arthur.

__
Arthur Hoffmann					58/1 Dickward Drive
						Fannie Bay N.T. 0820
						Darwin - Australia.
[email-masked]				Tel.:(0061/)89/818926