Subject: pre1.0 #2 installation probelms

From: [email-masked] (Chris Browning)

Hello All,
  I am in the process of installing the Amiga NetBSD pre1.0 release 2 
and I ran into a problem.  I have prepared my HD as per the instructions
and I am ready to boot NetBSD using the "loadbsd -b netbsd" and a 
boot floppy.  Everything goes well and I get the "root device" prompt.
At this point I type "fd0" and the machine crashes.  I think that it
says something about a VM problem, then does a kenal stack dump,
and the repeatedly says :
panic: MMU fault
vm_fault(cc000, dd600000, 1, 0) -> 1
    type 8, code [mmu,,ssw]: 2000145

My configuration is as follows....
A2000 / A2620 W/ 2meg 32bit mem
GCP Series II HD controller with Quantum P105 (for BSD) and lp85 (Ados).
Supra Ram card w/ 2 megs (16 bit)
C= Xt Bridgeboard.
1 Meg of chip mem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)

> A2000 / A2620 W/ 2meg 32bit mem
                   ^^^^
  2Meg isn't going to do it - the minimum is 4M [contiguous].

> Supra Ram card w/ 2 megs (16 bit)

  The release kernel does not support non-contiguous memory, although
there are at least three of us that have built kernels that support
non-contiguous memory.

Michael

-- 
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  [email-masked]
Computer Consultant
Office of Systems and Computing Services
Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Niklas Hallqvist)

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael L Hitch <[email-masked]> writes:

Michael> On Sep 19, 3:13pm, Chris Browning wrote:
>> At this point I type "fd0" and the machine crashes.  I think that
>> it says something about a VM problem, then does a kenal stack dump,
>> and the repeatedly says : panic: MMU fault vm_fault(cc000,
>> dd600000, 1, 0) -> 1 type 8, code [mmu,,ssw]: 2000145
>> 
>> My configuration is as follows....  A2000 / A2620 W/ 2meg 32bit mem
Michael>                    ^^^^ 2Meg isn't going to do it - the
Michael> minimum is 4M [contiguous].

>> GCP Series II HD controller with Quantum P105 (for BSD) and lp85
>> (Ados).  Supra Ram card w/ 2 megs (16 bit)

Michael>   The release kernel does not support non-contiguous memory,
Michael> although there are at least three of us that have built
Michael> kernels that support non-contiguous memory.

If your memory chunks are laid out after each other, you could dig
up the old ADOS 1.3 WB disk and copy "mergemem" from it.  When you
run this program two consecutive chunks will be merged to one.  I did
this for half-a-year and it mostly worked (GVP accelerators have a
bug which only may be noticed in certain bit-field ops on 16 bit
memory in paging systems).  As you don't have a GVP accelerator I think
it'll work OK.

Niklas

---

From: [email-masked] (Reinhard Schu)

>there are at least three of us that have built kernels that support

Hi,

are you one of those? I am highly interested in knowing how to build a kernel
that supports non-contigous memory.

My configuration is:

A2000+A2630 with 4MB + Acess32 (Memory expander for A2630) with 4MB 32bit RAM.

Beste Gruesse,
Best Regards,
Reinhard Schu

-----------------------------------------------------  UNIVERSITAS  -
-  UNIVERSITAET DES SAARLANDES  ---       -----------     |\ /|     -
-------------------------------------       ---------   |||* *|||   -
-  Reinhard Schu                    ---       -------   ||| V |||   -
-  Lehrstuhl Prof. Ruessmann          ---       -----   |||   |||   -
-   Tel.: +49-(0)681-302-3101           ---       ---   |/|___|\|   -
-  Fachschaft Jura                        ---       -     +   +     -
-   Tel.: +49-(0)681-302-4121               ---        SARAVIENSIS  -
---------------------------------------------------------------------

E-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)

> that supports non-contigous memory.

  Yes, I am one of those.

  To build a kernel with non-contiguous memory support, you need to get the
appropriate kernel sources.  They can be found on ftp.netbsd.org and
various mirrors.  Then you have to get the appropriate patches for the
non-contiguous memory support.  I think they were posted several weeks
ago on the amiga-dev mailing list - there were two diffent
versions posted.  One was posted by Niklas Hallqvist, and the other was
posted by me.  Then you just need to build a new kernel with these changes.
I would suggest building a kernel from the current sources first and make
sure you are able to build a working kernel.  Then you can apply the
patches for the non-contiguous support and build that kernel.

  These changes won't be in the 1.0 release of the kernel, but I'm sure 
they will eventually get into the following release (once the 1.0 release
makes it out).

Michael