Subject: /usr/local vice /opt

From: "Stephen J. Roznowski" <[email-masked]>

If we are voting, let me put in a vote for /usr/local/*. My concern
though, is if I run my system with /usr/local/* and the "upload
convention" is /opt, will I still be willing/able to do uploads?
For example, since I prefer to test out the software before I upload,
I'd have to build and test it twice (with the different paths). I don't
believe that I'm willing/able to do this every time.

Also, we need to worry about whether people will be able/willing to make
a switch (for example, if the X11R6 ECS color server suddenly required
/opt/X11R6, I'm not sure that those of us with /usr/local/X11R6 would
be able to use it.)

Please reconsider.
-SR

---

From: [email-masked]

/opt vs /usr/local: this is still BSD, not SVR4/Solaris2, or did I miss 
something? Next thing lets go for multiple rc.x startup hierarchies? Shudder...

-Markus
-- 
EUnet Switzerland   Tel:     +41 1 291 45 80	Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35    Hotline: +41 1 291 45 60	[email-masked]
CH-8004 Zuerich	    Fax:     +41 1 291 46 42	S=mw;P=EUnet;A=EUnet;C=CH
>Solaris 2 is not an upgrade from Solaris 1. They just want you to THINK it is.

---

From: "Michael K. Sanders" <[email-masked]>

>/opt/X11R6, I'm not sure that those of us with /usr/local/X11R6 would

I have a question that somewhat relates to this topic. I want to upgrade
from X11R5 to R6, but the current XamigaMono server only works with R5, no?
Is it possible to recompile? Where is the source? Also, why is it not 
possible for the case above to be resolved with links? If the server needs
/opt/X11R6, make a link from /usr/local/X11R6 to it. Maybe I'm missing
something-- I readily admit that I am far from completely understanding
these installation/naming schemes. 

To me, the idea of a common installation method for packages is a good one,
whether it be /opt or /usr/local. And regardless of which is decided on, if
you have your heart set on the other, can't you just link to it?

-- 

  - Michael K. Sanders ([email-masked])