Subject: Need help with Elm configuration Problem

From: Danny Lepage <[email-masked]>

As the subject says it, I need some advise to configure Elm.

I got Elm-alpha and compiled it, no problem.

But when I start it, I get something like :
'currently receiving mail, attempt # [1-7]
please try later'

My guess is that elm is not able to get the lock file.

Elm is set to group id wheel.
/var/mail is rwxrwxr-x root wheel (so elm should have acces to it)

The elm lock directory is set to /var/spool/lock (I'm not sure if it's the
right place, as /var/spool/lock is rwxr-xr-x uucp deamon, so is
/var/spool/lock only use for uucp locks ? if so,  is there another
directory under NetBSD where the locks are usually put. In particular,
what is the directory that sendmail use for is lock files ?)

I configured elm to use dot locking, flock and fcntl?? locking, setgid.

Any pointers to what I might be doing wrong would be really appreciated.

Danny Lepage
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Roskens <[email-masked]>

> My guess is that elm is not able to get the lock file.

Correct, elm is having problems openning a lock file for the mail file.
Reconfigure elm to not support locking, and you'll find that elm will work 
correctly. That is what I did to get elm to work on my 1.0_Beta system.

> I configured elm to use dot locking, flock and fcntl?? locking, setgid.

Ron