Subject: Install

From: David Jones <[email-masked]>

I just installed NetBSD 1.0_BETA and I have a few comments:

I am using the Aug. 1 document.  This may be a bit old...

You need to do cd /altroot, not cd /altroot/dev.  This has already been
pointed out.

You may want to add a section explaining how partitions are mapped: that
ADOS partitions now sit alongside BSD partitions.  That way, people know
what the device name of their partitions are.  For example, I installed
on sd0, with sd1 being my ados and 0.9 disk.  For me, the tar files
were located on /mnt/Trans/dl/ where /dev/sd1d was mounted as ados.

You should also make clear that if the tar files are not in the root of the
ados filesystem, then the path to them needs to be changed.

I found that when doing:

/altroot/sbin/mount -u -r /altroot

that I got:

fstab: /etc/fstab: no such file or directory.
mount: cannot find fstab entry for altroot

Also, since sync is not on the boot floppy, you may want to write-protect
that floppy after making it.  That way, you can safely re-use it.

/altroot/sbin/reboot put me in single-user mode alright.  AmigaDOS
is single-user isn't it?

Other things:

You may want to change the ap to np in the default gettytab entry.

You must mount ados rw, not ro, even though the ados driver is read-only.

-- 
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: [email-masked], finger for PGP public key
        finger [email-masked] for latest Toronto Free-Net information
          <A HREF="http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~dej">Click me!</A>