Subject: Installing X helpme

From: [email-masked]

Okay, I finally got the system to boot into multi-usr mode and I logon as 
root. I then make my paths and start up Bash. When I type in 
startx
I get all errors. One that strikes my eye is fatal server error. and that it
cant find the sockets. I have  feeling this is due to server errors. How 
do I fix this and are there any recent faq updates for X11R6.
Oh, and by the way it says that xinit is missing or not intitialized, I forget
exactly what is wrong. ANd that it can't find the keyboard. 
Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Sulewski

---

From: [email-masked]

> Joe Sulewski

This question (the fatal server error -- cant find sockets) has come up a
couple times.. I dont know that anyone has answered it, yet

I used to get this error on my straight amiga (no netbsd yet...) running
x11r4.. yeek.. anyway.. the problem is (or was there) that x needs some kind of
socket support.. the fix for me was to get my inet stuff up and running.. as if
it was networked, but leave out all the stuff about a network, except the
loopback, or localhost (127.0.0.1) .. this allowed x to open its sockets and
have a ball .... so I would guess since networking is not to my knowledge part
of the initial netbsd package, you ppl are having a similar problem..  get the
networking faq (old, but seemed good) and have a look.. it used to be on
ftp.uni-regensburg.de, I havent checked recently.  Having not set up Netbsd
networking, I cant say how to do it, maybe someone else here who is able to run
netbsd can ..

hope this is right and helps :)

later
bart

---

From: "Richard H. Wood" <[email-masked]>

> networking, I cant say how to do it, maybe someone else here who is able to run

You're right about the networking side of this, Bart, but NetBSD comes
with the necessary localhost network stuff already configured.  It should
automatically start when NetBSD goes into multiuser mode.

There's also an X11 FAQ on ftp.uni-regensburg.de, and I recommend getting
it, too, if you're ready to start playing around with X.

An important (related) note about libraries and sockets:  don't forget to
heed the reminder about running ldconfig.  (from the X11 FAQ):

 +++++ Important ++++++
  
   When  shared  X is started up it needs to know where to look for it's
   libraries so perform the command
        "ldconfig /usr/X11/lib"

Now, this FAQ was written a while ago and I supose there may have been
some earlier implementations that weren't "shared".  This one _is_ and you
need to be sure and tell the system where you unpacked the X11 libraries 
directory.

If you're curious, try the command 'ldconfig -r' (if you don't have /sbin
in your path, type '/sbin/ldconfig -r') and you'll see which libraries the
system thinks it knows about.

There's a ldconfig line already in /etc/rc.local - with no parameters.  I
went in and changed mine to include the two X library directories
directly:  "ldconfig /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/X11R5/lib" - since I didn't want
to merge them into a single directory just yet.  (This also addresses the
question someone else had about linking xlock and missing libraries.)

Now, I have a question:  I've been using a Sun at work about a year, now, 
and I was told to set $LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and $LD_PATH was it?) to point to 
shared library locations.  Nobody ever mentioned ldconfig, that I recall.  
Does NetBSD also honor these environment variables as well like SunOS?

(By the way, I sure am having fun with this NetBSD stuff - the X11R6 and
everything.  My hat's off to all you guys who've put in all the labour to
put all this together.  You are all too many to mention individually, but
you all know who you are.  Keep up the good work, and thanks for answering
all these newbee questions with such patience.)

BTW, my hat's off especially to Hubert Feyrer for maintaining his
excellent archive site at the University there in Regensburg.  I was 
wondering, though, if anyone is mirroring that stuff over here on this
side of the pond, state-side.  If it's on ftp.iastate.edu, it must be 
hiding from my (admittedly visually impaired) eyesight.  ;-)

-dick
-- 
_____________________________________ __//________________________________
[email-masked]     -    R. H. \X/ood     -     [email-masked]
246 Bancroft Drive,     Garland,  TX   75040    USA        +1 214 530 2595

---

From: [email-masked] (Hartmut Kuehn)

> Does NetBSD also honor these environment variables as well like SunOS?

Hmm, I think the reason is, that ldconfig can only be executed by root.
Can be mistaken, but I think my memory serves well this time.
"setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH bla" will work for every user. I think, it's
also better to "setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH bla:", the : in the end says,
that after bla any default path is to be appended.

Bye

-- 

Hartmut Kuehn              | E-Mail: [email-masked]
Phone: +49 (0)30 814 13 78 |         [email-masked]
Berlin, Germany            |         [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Hartmut Kuehn)

Bye

--