Subject: X11R6 for ftp

From: Daniel Carosone <[email-masked]>

Andrew Wheadon writes:
 > I've put a copy of a dynamically linked X11R6 in
 > ~ftp/pub/NetBSD/ports/X11R6 on wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de
 > This is for NetBSD-1.0_BETA. I've used a version compiled
 > with the same sources for some time now so it should work
 > but no guarantees are made.

Well, thanks, I have my own - but for those who might be interested in
fetching a copy, it might really help them to know which platform your
binaries are for. :-)

This goes as good advice to anyone making binaries (for whatever
reason) available on the net.

 >  (Oh btw. I compiled it including encryption but since it's useing
 >  the dynamic libcrypt.so* Could that mean that it can be exported
 >  into and out of the US ?  At the moment the README says otherwise
 >  but I'll correct that if I'm corrected)

Well, the short answer is that once it's out, it's out, no matter
which crypt you are using. But if you are linking against a shared
libcrypt that the machine owner must provide from whatever sources are
appropriate to them, then there should be no trouble.

--
Dan.

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>

>> I compiled it including encryption but since it's useing the dynamic
>> libcrypt.so*  [...exportable?...]
> [I]f you are linking against a shared libcrypt that the machine owner
> must provide from whatever sources are appropriate to them, then
> there should be no trouble.

...unless it _demands_ such a libcrypt and you don't provide docs
enough to make it easy to dummy it out, in which case some poor non-US
soul who doesn't know anything about crypto issues and doesn't care,
and just wants it to run, is up the proverbial creek.  (No, I'm not
said soul; I have my own DES implementation and could doubtless turn it
into a satisfactory libcrypt if given an interface spec....)

					der Mouse

			    [email-masked]