Subject: dealing with /opt

From: [email-masked]

To whomever can answer this,
	I am new at this netbsd stuff. I have it working fine and X11 runs
great! Yeah! But I don't understand how to deal with this /opt stuff
I downloaded emacs gcc fvwm and bash. All of wish want to place themselves
in the /opt directory. I put everything in /usr/opt. So how do I 
get everything installed and running right. I tried the ./../install/Install
and i always get some sort of errors. Gcc says it can't find man. I know
I'm making this sound vague but I just need to know how to deal with the
/opt. Do I rename /usr to /opt? And were do I get all the includes for 
programming, like stdio.h and stdlib.h and et al? thanks for any help.
Joe Sulewski

---

From: Ron Roskens <[email-masked]>

> programming, like stdio.h and stdlib.h and et al? thanks for any help.

The use of /opt has been suggested as a place that can be used for binary
distributions. It's not the same as /usr, as other specific directories are 
installed there. Using /usr/opt is an option, as long as you create a link from
/opt to /usr/opt most programs shouldn't complain.

As to your other problems, it sounds like you don't have a complete
installation on your system. So you need to make sure that the comp10 binaries
are installed properly.

Ron

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "dealing with /opt" (Sep 18, 12:54am)

> great! Yeah! But I don't understand how to deal with this /opt stuff

If you don't like /opt, do a "ln -s /usr/local /opt" and forget about it until
all programs are re-compiled to use /usr/local.

> in the /opt directory. I put everything in /usr/opt. So how do I

There are install-docs for each of the mentioned programs, if I remember right.
If they insist on putting the stuff into /opt, do so.

> and i always get some sort of errors. Gcc says it can't find man. I know

Hu? Since when does gcc invoke man???

> /opt. Do I rename /usr to /opt? And were do I get all the includes for
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No! As mentioned above, best thing right now is to nuke /opt, link it to
/usr/local, and install the packages again.

> programming, like stdio.h and stdlib.h and et al? thanks for any help.

Install the "comp"-package.

Hubert

-- 
=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] == IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================