Subject: Re: Problems with installing 1.0b

From: "Eduardo E. Horvath [email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

On Wed, 31 Aug 1994, Amish Dave wrote:

> Karl-Gunnar Hultland writes:
> >What happened then was:
> >
> >1) When I did the reboot I ended up in AmigaDOS and not in
> >   single-user mode
> >
> >2) After then trying to use my new root file system as boot-device
> >   my Amy locked up after the 2 Mice 10 views message.
> 
> The rebooting into AmigaDOS is normal, I think.  The wording in 
> the installation doc is perhaps a little vague about how to get
> to multi-user mode.  You can either run loadbsd with the -a
> switch, or just logout of single-user mode.  When you do that,
> the /etc/rc file begins to be executed, and you will eventually
> get a login prompt.

What reboot does is halt the kernel, issue the reset instruction, and 
then jump to the warm-boot vector, I belive.  Until someone writes 
bootblocks for BSD, the machine will always boot into AmigaDOS.

The preffered method to get into multi-user mode is with loadbsd -a.  
Exiting from single user mode will not fsck any dirty disks, so if you 
use this method you should do an fsck -a first.

Eduardo

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "Problems with installing 1.0b" (Aug 31, 12:28pm)

> The problem now for me is that I can't make the new root read only...

try "mount -u /dev/sd0a"  or "mount -u /dev/sd0a /altroot".

> 1) When I did the reboot I ended up in AmigaDOS and not in

This is known, and I'd rather call it a bug than a feature.

Hubert

-- 
=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] == IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================
    Click <A HREF="http://dusk.rz.uni-regensburg.de/~hubert">here.</A>

---

From: Karl-Gunnar Hultland <[email-masked]>

> the /etc/rc file begins to be executed, and you will eventually

I was fooled by the "You'll end up in single-user mode" in
th install docs, thanks for clearing that up I started to 
get worried there for a while.

> 
> Having the terminal lock up after the '2 Mice 10 views' message
> seems, in my minimal experience, to be related to devs problems.
> Assuming that you really did get the devs directory correctly
> copied from the bootfloppy, then you need to perform an addition
> step before you can enter multi-user mode (and not hang after
> that message):
> 	cd /dev 		; in your hard-disk root partition
> 	MAKEDEV ttye0		; assuming you're not using retina
> 	MAKEDEV tty0		; for the ptys. (tty0 is from my memory)
> 
> If you really aren't using the retina, you'll probably want to
> change an 'on' to an 'off' in the file '/etc/ttys', for the line
> corresponding to ttye1.

THANKS! the ttys (and the missing ttye0, tty0) was the cause of my problem.
Now I only would like to have the Picasso-version :) I guess it tried
to find my non-existant Retina and locked up.

> 
> Good luck.
> 
> ps: There's something very cool about logging into the amiga for the
> first time, running something like vi, and then suspending it...  :->
> A hearty thanks to everyone responsible!
> 

Yeah, thanks to everyone, it is a vast improvement over #744 that
I did run before. Not that I understand the charm about VI though :)
I happily sacrificed the 10+ MB that it took of my HD *GRIN*

				Karl

---

From: "Michael K. Sanders" <[email-masked]>

> The problem now for me is that I can't make the new root read only...

Huh? Why do you want to do this?

> When I try the /altroot/sbin/mount -u -r /altroot command I
> get the message that /etc/fstab is missing, then I tried to skip
> that part and continued with the install instructions.

Either (1) create an entry in /etc/fstab for it, or (2) use mount
/dev/sdXa -u -r /altroot. I still can't imagine why you want to mount
it as readonly.
 
> 1) When I did the reboot I ended up in AmigaDOS and not in

That's what a reboot does. You exit the single-user shell to go multi-
user.

>    my Amy locked up after the 2 Mice 10 views message.

You didn't copy the /dev files from the boot floppy correctly. 

cd /altroot
tar -cf - | tar -xvf -

worked for me... sjr gave another solution, which I don't remember 
the exact syntax of.

> Anyone has any ideas what might be wrong, and do anyone of you have
> a more recent pre-release doc on installing 1.0b?

> 				Karl
 
There'll be a new installation doc sooner or later, be patient, read the
mailing list and comp.unix.amiga. The /dev problem has got to be a FAQ
by now. :)

---

From: [email-masked] (Niklas Hallqvist)

>>>>> "Eduardo" == Eduardo E Horvath eeh@btr com <[email-masked]> writes:

Eduardo> On Wed, 31 Aug 1994, Amish Dave wrote:

Eduardo> The preffered method to get into multi-user mode is with
Eduardo> loadbsd -a.

I used to prefer this, but nowadys I seldom use it.  When having a slow
processor and large disks the unnecessary filechecks when I know they
are cleanly unmounted are very disturbing.  I know there are plans to
add a "fs clean" flag to the ufs, but as long as it isn't there I boot
through single user all the time.

What I'd like is some way to pass in a new bootflags to /dev/reload.
Maybe we could write a front-end called "loadbsd" which essentially
would be the ADOS version but use /dev/reload instead.  Comments?

Niklas

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Hitch)

> would be the ADOS version but use /dev/reload instead.  Comments?

  It's relatively easy to change the bootflags - I just do a left-Alt /
left-Amiga / F10 to get into the debugger and write the new boot flags.
Then continue and reload.  You do have to know which bits to set though.

/dev/reload is just a write-only device.  All it does is make an image
of the kernel that is being written to it and copies all the other stuff
from the data left when the kernel was originally loaded with loadbsd.
I suppose one could add an ioctl function to the device to let you manipulate
things.

Michael

-- 
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  [email-masked]
Computer Consultant
Office of Systems and Computing Services
Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Reinhard Schu)

>that part and continued with the install instructions.

That seems to be an error in the document. I somehow managed to unmount and
mount /altroot again as read only, but I have forgotten how.

Beste Gruesse,
Best Regards,
Reinhard Schu

-----------------------------------------------------  UNIVERSITAS  -
-  UNIVERSITAET DES SAARLANDES  ---       -----------     |\ /|     -
-------------------------------------       ---------   |||* *|||   -
-  Reinhard Schu                    ---       -------   ||| V |||   -
-  Lehrstuhl Prof. Ruessmann          ---       -----   |||   |||   -
-   Tel.: +49-681-3101                  ---       ---   |/|___|\|   -
-  Fachschaft Jura                        ---       -     +   +     -
-   Tel.: +49-681-4121                      ---        SARAVIENSIS  -
---------------------------------------------------------------------

E-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Ty Sarna)

> are cleanly unmounted are very disturbing.  I know there are plans to

Why not use fastboot to shutdown?

-- 
Ty Sarna                   "You can lead a gift horse to water but 
[email-masked]          you can't make him look you in the mouth"