Subject: Help with HP DAT -> NetBSD

From: [email-masked] (J.T. Conklin)

I think that this has come up before, but a search of the 
comp.os.386bsd.* archives turned up nothing.

I'm having trouble taking DAT tapes written at work on a HP snake with a
HP DAT drive home to my NetBSD/i386 box with a WangDAT 3200.  I've made
sure that the block sizes are the same on both ends, but all I get is: 

	st0(ahb0:3:0): no data found, requested size: 10240 (decimal)

Any clues?  Thanks,

	--jtc

---

From: Giles Lean <[email-masked]>

> sure that the block sizes are the same on both ends, but all I get is: 

I have had no success reading compressed tapes written by HP-UX on 
NetBSD (with a HP DDS2 drive) or on Solaris.  Non-compressed tapes
have been fine.

I do know that HP-UX can handle variable sized blocks and I suspect
that NetBSD cannot.  I would write the tape using dd and sepcifying
'obs=...'.  (Not, of course, 'bs=...' which is unbuffered as required
by POSIX. :-)

Importing files the other way (NetBSD/i386) to HP-UX seems to be fine
with compression.  I havn't tested non-compressed tapes written on
NetBSD since the NetBSD SCSI code doesn't yet handle controlling
compression.

Regards,

Giles
----
Giles Lean
Nemeton Pty Ltd, 6/111 Flinders Street, Thornbury 3071 AUSTRALIA
<[email-masked]> 			 phone:   +61 3 480 2118