Subject: Re: Problems with installing 1.0b <[email-masked]>

From: Amish Dave <[email-masked]>

Karl-Gunnar Hultland writes:
>What happened then was:
>
>1) When I did the reboot I ended up in AmigaDOS and not in
>   single-user mode
>
>2) After then trying to use my new root file system as boot-device
>   my Amy locked up after the 2 Mice 10 views message.

The rebooting into AmigaDOS is normal, I think.  The wording in 
the installation doc is perhaps a little vague about how to get
to multi-user mode.  You can either run loadbsd with the -a
switch, or just logout of single-user mode.  When you do that,
the /etc/rc file begins to be executed, and you will eventually
get a login prompt.

Having the terminal lock up after the '2 Mice 10 views' message
seems, in my minimal experience, to be related to devs problems.
Assuming that you really did get the devs directory correctly
copied from the bootfloppy, then you need to perform an addition
step before you can enter multi-user mode (and not hang after
that message):
	cd /dev 		; in your hard-disk root partition
	MAKEDEV ttye0		; assuming you're not using retina
	MAKEDEV tty0		; for the ptys. (tty0 is from my memory)

If you really aren't using the retina, you'll probably want to
change an 'on' to an 'off' in the file '/etc/ttys', for the line
corresponding to ttye1.

Good luck.

ps: There's something very cool about logging into the amiga for the
first time, running something like vi, and then suspending it...  :->
A hearty thanks to everyone responsible!

--
Amish S. Dave                                       University of Chicago
[email-masked]                             Biology Grad. Student