Subject: duplicated inodes

From: jason downs <[email-masked]>

does anyone else see a lot of duplicated inodes after during a lot of
disk access? (a lot == building the world or something equally as large.)

--
                    ----------------------------------------
-------------------// jason downs // [email-masked] //------------------
                   ----------------------------------------      JD105
		  http://www.CSOS.ORST.EDU/downsj/index.html
	       I remember the day when Sun made decent computers.

---

From: "Charles M. Hannum" <[email-masked]>

>Yes!  Or after untarring a large set of files, etc.
   >
   >fsck loves to find DUPs for me when I do this.

Are the file systems in question nearly full?  I remember some strange
lossage, possibly related to block relocating, that happened on full
or nearly-full file systems.

You might try changing `doreallocblks' (both definitions) in
vfs_cluster.c to `0' and see if it helps.

---

From: Dave Burgess <[email-masked]>

> disk access? (a lot == building the world or something equally as large.)

Only when I have the external cache turned on by accident.  This is on
my noname 386 upgradable.  It was independent of whether I am using the
386 that came with it, or a Cyrix 486 that I bought specifically for it.

---

From: Paul Southworth <[email-masked]>

On Sat, 17 Sep 1994, James Dolter wrote:

> >>>>> "downsj" == jason downs <[email-masked]> writes:
>     downsj> does anyone else see a lot of duplicated inodes after
>     downsj> during a lot of disk access? (a lot == building the world
>     downsj> or something equally as large.)
> 
> I have also been experiencing the same problems:
> 
>    1. System built around 1st week of Sept.
>    2. 486DX external cache off
> 
>    The problem has surfaced both on a EDSI and SCSI drives both
>    having at least 20% free space.... 

(me too)

Getting duplicates on every reboot, with two IDE drives.  Got it after 
building bash, again building lynx, and again after patching X11R5 with 
the XFree86 kit.  Losing both recently- and not-so-recently-written files.
486SLC2-50 (IBM CPU) with no external cache present.

--Paul

---

From: "Charles M. Hannum" <[email-masked]>

Could all of the people having problems like this send me the output
of disklabel(8) and dumpfs(8) on their respective disks and file
systems?