Subject: Re: Archive Viper hogging SCSI <[email-masked]>

From: [email-masked]

> [email-masked] wrote:
> > 
> > 
> > Unfortunately the current SCSI drivers do not support disconnect
> > so when you issue a command like rewind it must first complete
> > before the SCSI bus is again free to do other things.
> 
> I consider this a bug.

Of course its not a bug, however we certainly want to support it.

> I've had to newfs a couple of times when the tape drive _never_ came 
> back with a reply!  Gives new meaning to "deadly embrace".
> 
> Or, can the old scsi driver be dropped back in at this point without too 
> much work?  It used to support disconnect _and_ supported the Archive Viper 
> drive rather well, too.

This is just wrong, NetBSD/amiga has *never* supported disconnect.  The
old tape driver may have had a hack to support a rewind command that
completes immediatly however the next command sent to the tape would
then hang the scsi bus until the rewind completed.

> I just added a 1.<something) gig drive about two weeks ago, and on my 
> largest partition, (about 1/2 meg) I'm consistently getting corrupt 
> directory errors from fstat on that partition.  (It was over 700 meg, 
> and I broke it up, to see if smaller partitions would make the problem 
> go away...it didn't)
> 
> Now my question is, is the scsi driver possibly to blame for this?  I

I really don't have a clue as to whats causing your problems, however
including information as to your hardware could help.  Note that not
all that much has been done to the actuall hardware interface to scsi.

Chris.