Subject: any suggestions for mail and/or news ?

From: Marc Duponcheel <[email-masked]>

Hello Amiga NetBSD people,

I want to setup my Amiga NetBSD as a mail server and news server for my
other unix machine (PC Linux).

So I ftp-ed and successfully compiled:

uucp
tin
pine

Next I ftp-ed

inn
sendmail+IDA

but I got trouble compiling them
... (inn seems to be wtitten in non-ansi C and relies on lint being
installed, while sendmail gave too many errors to feel comfortable).

So I wonder if someone has got more succes or if someone has maybe
tried cnews and smail ...

Something else ...

I just 'found' an old A2065 ... would that one work with
a stoch A4000/40 (with the 'bad' buster)

Greetings,

--marc.

+---------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|         |          |                  |  Cisco Systems Belgium NV/SA     |
|        |||        |||                 |  Complex Antares                 |
|       |||||      |||||                |  71, Avenue des Pleiades         |
|   ..:|||||||:..:|||||||:..            |  1200 Brussels                   |
|                                       |  BELGIUM   EUROPE                |
|     Cisco Systems Europe              |                                  |
|                                       |                                  |
|     Marc Duponcheel                   |  tel:    +32 2 778 42 40         |
|       MIS analyst                     |  e-mail: [email-masked]      |
+---------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "any suggestions for mail and/or news ?" (Sep 14, 12:02pm)

> installed, while sendmail gave too many errors to feel comfortable).

I had no problems compiling and running INN-1.2 on an older version of
NetBSD/Amiga. The most difficult part is the configuration, but once you have
that, you're done.

If I remember right, lint isn't required to build. (Skip the "make lint" or
wahtever).

I also had no problems compiling sendmail (8.6.4?) then. I don't know if NeTBSD
has changed that much since then.

> a stoch A4000/40 (with the 'bad' buster)

I don't know what you mean with "bad buster", but generally, A2065 is supported
by NetBSD/Amiga.

Hubert

-- 
=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] == IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================

---

From: Charles Ewen MacMillan <[email-masked]>

On Wed, 14 Sep 1994, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 94 14:55:36 +0200
> From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]>
> To: Marc Duponcheel <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: any suggestions for mail and/or news ?
> 

 INN is actually up to a version 1.4 patched, and the author does not 
recommend the usage of earlier versions.

 I recall there being a few areas of the source which had to be played 
with but mostly I used "gcc -ansi" and compiled directly from the 
Makefiles rather than the "BUILD" script, which makes too many 
architecture assumptions.

Charles Ewen MacMillan  | Tezcat.COM - Wicker Park 
  <[email-masked]>    | Offering Internet Access 
Modem: 312-850-0112/0117| Via Interactive UNIX to 
Voice: 312-850-0181     |    the Chicago Area.
WWW: http://tezcat.com/ | Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "any suggestions for mail and/or news ?" (Sep 14, 12:02pm)

> a stoch A4000/40 (with the 'bad' buster)

 Yes. No Ethernet for Amiga supports DMA (yet?).

-- 
Markus Illenseer

---

From: Marc Duponcheel <[email-masked]>

Hello A2065 seekers,

As stated by Markus Illenseer I can confirm:

Indeed it *does* work on the 'bad' A4000/40 machines !

And How !

Next thing is to 'find' one of the NCD's hanging around here at cisco
(they have been replaced by SPARCclassics) and to configure the
Amiga-NetBSD as a bootserver for the NCD Xterminal ...  Then I will
have the following network @ work  <-> home

   Cisco
     |
slip |
     |
================================== ethernet
     |         |        |
   Amiga      NCD     PC Linux