Subject: Re: Summary of /etc/rc* <[email-masked]>

From: "L. Todd Masco" <[email-masked]>

Hubert Feyrer writes:
 > > are scripts in /etc/rc.3 that start and stop each service.  Usually,
 >                       ^^^^
 > I'd stick rather closely to SVR4 (or Solaris, if that matters),
 > marking directories which contains scripts with a ".d"-suffix. I.e.
 > naming the startup-scrupt for multiuser/server-mode "rc3", but putting
 > the init-scripts for it into "rc3.d".
 > 
 > Also, putting all the startup-scripts into "/etc/init.d" and linking
 > them into "/etc/rc?.d" sounds nice to me, as I now where to look if I
 > want to change a single startup-script.

Will do, on both.  When I wrote the above, I didn't have access to an
SVR4 machine, so I couldn't check the naming conventions.

I'm more likely to use symbolic links to /etc/init.d, though: hard links
could confuse someone unfamiliar with the setup.  Or perhaps it'll be
an installation option.
--
L. Todd Masco  | "Hide, witch, hide!  The good folk come to burn thee, their
[email-masked]  |  keen enjoyment hid behind a gothic mask of duty." -JS/BATE