Subject: NFS problems recently?

From: Havard Eidnes <[email-masked]>

Hi,

I have recently upgraded one of my earlier NetBSD 0.9C boxes to a
version of NetBSD 1.0Beta as of about a week ago, and now it appears
that I can't get NFS to work between the upgraded machine and my other
NetBSD 1.0Beta machine.  This is the error I get:

stikker# mount -v rype:/usr/src /usr/src
rype:/usr/src on /usr/src: Bad address
stikker#

Has anyone else seen something like this?  Before anyone asks, my
resolv.conf looks ok (only one "domain" and three "nameserver"
directives), and other applications are able to look up the name
"rype" just fine.  mount_nfs is also recently installed, my source
file for mount_nfs is dated Jun 25 1994.  I haven't built a kernel
with KTRACE in it for the mounting host (I am using the GENERICAHA
kernel with the irq for ed0 adjusted).

If I try to NFS mount from myself, I get another error:

rype# mount -v rype:/usr/src /mnt
nfs: can't access /usr/src: Address already in use
rype# 

Isn't this supposed to work?

An excerpt from my process listing is:

  PID TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
...
   47 ??  Is     0:00.09 portmap
   54 ??  Is     0:00.02 nfsd: nfsd-master (nfsd)
   57 ??  I      0:00.00 nfsd: nfsd-srv (nfsd)
   58 ??  I      0:00.01 nfsd: nfsd-srv (nfsd)
   59 ??  I      0:00.01 nfsd: nfsd-srv (nfsd)
   60 ??  I      0:00.01 nfsd: nfsd-srv (nfsd)
   63 ??  I      0:00.01 nfsiod -n 4
   64 ??  I      0:00.01 nfsiod -n 4
   65 ??  I      0:00.01 nfsiod -n 4
   66 ??  I      0:00.01 nfsiod -n 4
...
 2549 ??  Is     0:00.03 mountd
...

and my /etc/exports says:

rype# cat /etc/exports
/usr -alldirs -maproot=0 stikker
/local -alldirs -maproot=0 stikker
rype# 

This is on a pair of i486 boxes, if you didn't guess that already.

Confused,

- Havard

---

From: Havard Eidnes <[email-masked]>

> rype:/usr/src on /usr/src: Bad address

This turned out to be an out-of-date version of /sbin/mount on the client
host.  I thought that mount_nfs would be used to do the NFS mounting so I
had copied that over, but ktrace/kdump showed me otherwise...  When is
mount_nfs being used, then?

> nfs: can't access /usr/src: Address already in use

This still happens -- trying to NFS mount a partition on the local host.
Although not very useful, is this supposed to work?

Not quite so confused anymore,

- Havard

---

From: "Charles M. Hannum" <[email-masked]>

That is what generally happens when you don't have permission to mount
the file system.  (Yes, the message is confusing.)