Subject: First time installation of NetBSD 1.0-pre-beta

From: Christopher Marshall <[email-masked]>

Hi-

     I have retrieved the latest NetBSD-Amiga distribution from
ftp.uni-regensburg.de, but last installation instructions I have found
appear to be from version .744 in which no mention of a boot floppy was
made.  Could someone please post a pointer to some more current
installation instructions or how to use the boot floppy to install the
latest release?

     Some questions I have:

(1) Once I have created the bootfloppy how do I use it to install the rest
    of the NetBSD?

(2) What is the purpose of the netbsd file in the bin-dist/ directory?

(3) The base.tar.gz looks like what used to be the root file system?  How
    do I get it on the appropriate partitions?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

---

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "Re: First time installation of NetBSD 1.0-pre-beta" (Sep 9, 11:17am)

> I put up an install doc and a new pre-release and it is really
> very easy to install with it and the boot-floppy.  However I
> am not ready to take it to release yet due to a new bug with
> gdb not working again (sigh).  ALl I can say is it wasn't my fault
> so don't mail me any angry notes.

Well, great work so far! :-)

Some comments:
- Could you please add the kernel-source that was mentioned to compile the
  supplied kernel? The INSTALL.amiga mentions recompiling the kernel, so
  I suppose there should be valid sources somewhere. (NOT -current ! :)
- Typo in "supported devices", SCSI, 53c710: Zeus (not Zues)
- There's a nice way to create /dev/* when base10 and etc10 are installed
  (I assume the BSD-root is on /mnt, with the BSD-usr is on /mnt/usr):

  # /mnt/sbin/mount_null /mnt/usr /usr        ; shared libs available now
  # /mnt/usr/chroot /mnt /bin/sh              ; reach /etc/passwd, etc.
  # cd /dev
  # sh MAKEDEV all
  # exit                                      ; exit chroot'ed shell

  I think this can be incorporated easily into the "Configure" script and
  prevent an additional reboot the user has to worry about.
- You mention changing sendmail.cf after installation, and also invocation
  of man. Maybe you should add a note to add users via "vipw", not by editing
  /etc/passwd by hand.

Besides that, the Install-doc looks really good to me. Congratulations! :-)

So long,

 	Hubert

-- 
=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] == IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================