Subject: Two problems in #744 (solved); dial-in modem problem

From: [email-masked] (Jukka Marin)

Dear All,

I noticed two problems with the #744 kernel and 712 binaries:

- mail.local returns a random error code when delivering mail.  This
  causes an error message to be returned to the mail sender (even though
  the message was properly delivered).  Fix: Set rval = 0 at the beginning
  of deliver().

- sendmail clears the highest bits of outbound messages.  Kludge:
  Comment out the portion of code in util.c which clears the MSbits.

A question:

I'm trying to connect a few modems to my NetBSD box for dial-in lines.
The modems are normal Supra V32bis modems.  How can I be sure that the
modems are operating at correct DTE speed?  When I turn on the modems,
I have no idea of their DTE speed.  As getty doesn't know about the
modems and sends no AT commands to the modems, they don't seem to know
the correct speed -> login attemts fail.

Is there a simple solution to this?  I don't want to use kermit to
talk to every modem after every power failure to tell them their
DTE speed. :-(

  Jukka Marin

--

| Mail:  Jukka Marin         |     E-Mail:           [email-masked]  |
|        Metsurintie 17 B 8  |     FAX/voice:        +358 71 283 2793     |
|        70150 Kuopio        | There's God above computers -              |
|        FINLAND             |                       Love beyond the hate |
 \                                                                       /
  \ If a train station is where the train stops, what is a workstation? /