Subject: NetBSD multi-threaded?

From: "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <[email-masked]>

Deep within the recesses of my foggy memory, I remember something
about the u. structures in kernel memory being changed to a different
format, supposedly to facilitate either multi-threaded processes, or a
multi-threaded kernel.  I believe this may have been just after the
intro of 0.9, but I'm not positive.

What was the focus of those changes, and what was the end result?  Is
NetBSD a "multi-threaded kernel" (in whatever context), and will there
ever be a process thread library and/or any thread data
synchronization support?

My mind was just wandering down this avenue this morning, and I was
wondering just how robust and featureful any threading support might
be in NetBSD.  I remember a short-lived libpthread at one point in
time, but it hasn't been around for awhile.

Thanks for any enlightenment...

				--Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Michael L. VanLoon     [email-masked]     [email-masked]
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.
     Working NetBSD ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532
               In progress: DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), VAX, Sun4m
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Charles M. Hannum" <[email-masked]>

Deep within the recesses of my foggy memory, I remember something
   about the u. structures in kernel memory being changed to a
   different format, [...]

In Net/2 and later, the struct user is now stored in a per-process
location, not a fixed location for all processes.

   I remember a short-lived libpthread at one point in time, but it
   hasn't been around for awhile.

It's still there!  Perhaps the author would care to comment on what
his plans are with regard to it.  B-)