Subject: /etc/conf: Re: Rmail queues everything?

From: [email-masked] (Ronald Khoo)

According to DNS Master <[email-masked]>:

> A side note:  With all the .conf files (inetd.conf, syslog.conf,
> newsyslog.conf) should we make an /etc/conf directory in which we stuff
> all the config files, or is this just opening a can of pointers to worms?

/etc is already the config directory.  What else do you put in yours ?

-- 
Me: Ronald Khoo  Food: Roti Chanai  Drink: Tea, weak, milky without sugar
In Malaysia: [email-masked]      +60 3  241 5232  Computer Protocol Malaysia
In England:  [email-masked]   +44 81 349 0063  Demon Internet Services

---

From: [email-masked] (Space Case) "/etc/conf: Re: Rmail queues everything?" (Sep 28, 8:27am)

>/etc is already the config directory.  What else do you put in yours ?

At the risk of being accused of comparing apples to oranges, I will offer
this:  Silicon Graphics has a /etc/config directory, which contains the
config files used during the startup process: flags which tell whether
or not to run various subsystems (network, nfs, graphics, iconlogin, etc.)
and the options those subsystems use, in contrast to the NetBSD way of
putting the flags at the beginning of /etc/netstart.  The /etc directory
proper contains the general purpose config files, the ones that get
referenced during the normal operation of the machine.

~Steve

-- 
Steven R. Allen - [email-masked]

"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been
more specific."  -- Lily Tomlin

A bird in the bush usually has a friend in there with him.

---

From: Peter Galbavy <[email-masked]>

> /etc is already the config directory.  What else do you put in yours ?

/etc/daily, /etc/passwd, /etc/nntpd :) any others. I know the last one
should be somewhere else...

and why not a /etc/scripts as well...

Regards,
-- 
Peter Galbavy					work: [email-masked]
Wonderland					rest: [email-masked]
						play: http://www.wonderland.org/
"The 'net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

---

From: DNS Master <[email-masked]>

Well, let's see -- passwd, group, netmasks, networks, ttys, named.boot,
fstab, dumpdates, defaultdomain, myname, hosts, hostname.*, lpd.hosts,
rc, rc.local...

I suppose this is logical; it was kind of tongue-in-cheek, as I suspect
that, as I said, it would be opening a can of pointers to cans of worms,
( can_of_worms *worms[CANSIZ]; ), but it certainly asks the question
of whether or not it should be done.

I must have just been bored when I thought of that; I have no intention of
actually implementing it unless /etc gets too cluttered (right now it
appears quite clean to my (possibly untrained) eye...).

#define AUTHOR "[email-masked] (Ronald Khoo)"

/*
 * According to DNS Master <[email-masked]>:
 * 
 * > A side note:  With all the .conf files (inetd.conf, syslog.conf,
 * > newsyslog.conf) should we make an /etc/conf directory in which we stuff
 * > all the config files, or is this just opening a can of pointers to worms?
 * 
 * /etc is already the config directory.  What else do you put in yours ?
 * 
 * -- 
 * Me: Ronald Khoo  Food: Roti Chanai  Drink: Tea, weak, milky without sugar
 * In Malaysia: [email-masked]      +60 3  241 5232  Computer Protocol Malaysia
 * In England:  [email-masked]   +44 81 349 0063  Demon Internet Services
 * 
 * 
 * 
 * 
 * 
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "[email-masked] (Ronald Khoo)" */

--
 _______Wizardry is dead._____ _____WHO: Greywolf (my nameplate even says so)
/ ___\ _ \ __\ V / \  / /__ \| | __/WHAT: UNIX System Mangler...er, Admin
\ \| |   < _| ` ' \ '` / \/ /|_| _/ WHERE: Autodesk, Inc.  3 Harbor Dr.
 \___|_|\_\__\|_|  \/\/ \__/___/_|  Sausalito, CA 94965 (415) 332-2344 x4219
	see also: [email-masked]