Subject: Problems with GVP 040/33 and crashes

From: [email-masked]

Hiho!

I have got some nice little problems using NetBSD with
my GVP 040/33 accelerator board.
I have got only 4MB on my GVP used by NetBSD, so a lot
of swapping has to be done. Compiling larger programs
such as 'origami', a folding editor, it always comes to
non-reproducable crashes while compiling, mostly jumping
into the debugger (I think it is one).
Has anyone similar problems? Do you need a closer desription
of my system? Please contact me if you know anything about
it.

Thanx, Sven.
--- ___
   /_.  Sven Fischer - Kastanienweg 33 - 52074 Aachen - Germany     //
  / /   ++49-241-875173 [email-masked] \\ //  040/33
        IRC: Wowbagger                                           \X/   INSIDE

---

From: "Kevin P. Neal" <[email-masked]>

> into the debugger (I think it is one).

I have a stock 4 megs of Fast RAM on my A3000. I get the same problems
as you. Swap intensive activities tend to cause panics and halt the
machine.  This happens every couple of days (I leave the machine on
all the time.) and gets to be annoying as I get email here.

A friend of mine has 8 megs fast, and once in a rare while will have
the same problem.

The machine either freezes with the hard drive light on, or panics
with the light off. Why? Are these bugs in swapper? If so, does that affect
putting in the patches for multiple memory banks? Are these patches stable
when swapper seems to crash anyway?

--
// Kevin P. Neal                   | [email-masked] 
// Sophomore, CSC/CPE              | [email-masked]
// North Carolina State University | [email-masked]
// www.catt.ncsu.edu: mosaic page, pgp key through finger

---

From: [email-masked] (Niklas Hallqvist)

>>>>> "Sven" == fischers  <[email-masked]> writes:

Sven> Hiho!  I have got some nice little problems using NetBSD with my
Sven> GVP 040/33 accelerator board.  I have got only 4MB on my GVP
Sven> used by NetBSD, so a lot of swapping has to be done. Compiling
Sven> larger programs such as 'origami', a folding editor, it always
Sven> comes to non-reproducable crashes while compiling, mostly
Sven> jumping into the debugger (I think it is one).  Has anyone
Sven> similar problems? Do you need a closer desription of my system?
Sven> Please contact me if you know anything about it.

Well, I too have run in 4MB in the past and sometimes got crashes in
pmap_enter_ptpage or something.  I didn't want to dig into this too
deep at the time, but rather compiled my own minimalistic kernel
removing everything I didn't need.  I also saw to that my swap-partitions
were big (about 2x20MB) and my problems really got less frequent.
Now I run with extra 6MB of 16-bit mem (Tim's non-contig work) and
never see this problem.  I guess that it'll remain until some kernel
hacker is forced to live with low mem and small swap partitions.

Hmm, I'm probably going to do a new pmap module for AmigaMach, partly
because of wanting to make a pmap module from scratch, partly because
I know the existing pmaps available to me has problems.  Maybe I can
find out what's eating NetBSD's variant at the same time as I try to
evaluate it for my own purposes.  No promises, though...

Niklas