Subject: Re: Rmail queues everything? <[email-masked]>

From: Ken Hornstein <[email-masked]>

>Sendmail is very expensive. I used to use (and do it on most boxes still)
>Smail-3.1.28 and now turned to a real native NetBSD 1.0_Beta on this
>system for the first time. I don't notice any exspacialy high load after
>uucp calls on the smail systems, but I get my mail instantly (Smail works
>in foreground for local deliveries and may go to background mode if configured
>for SMTP or other transports).

(... you can do this as well with sendmail, if you designate all mailers except
local as "expensive"...)

>While I personaly prefer the non-queued rmail operation I see this become
>holy war. What I realy would like is a way to keep Sendmail from beeing
>build at all! While it probably is the most frequently used MTA it's not
>the only choice and I think doesn't belong into a base system. I don't
>mind getting it for free (otherwise I never would have realy tried it),
>but it prevents me from installing another MTA and keeping current.

I respectfully disagree.  I personally think Smail is a bit bogus; about 70%
of the broken sites I've encountered on the Internet are running Smail (the
other 30% are running the stock Sun sendmail configuration, but I digress :-) )
I don't understand why having sendmail built prevents you from installing
another MTA, tho.

--Ken