Subject: Re: Problems with X and -current <[email-masked]>

From: Ken Hornstein <[email-masked]>

>Is anybody else having problems with XFree86 2.1.1 and the latest current from
>about 7/14 through the yesterday's sources?  What happens is that after
>anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours of working on an xsession started from xdm
>or startx, the keyboard gets disassociated from the console.  The computer
>isn't locked up, and any jobs ( like FTP transfers ) I started before the
>keyboard problem just keep running.  Also another weird things is that my xload
>program shows the load to be steadily increasing from the time the keyboard
>died.

I've encountered a different problem.  Very occasionally I'll get most of the
keys just stop working; only a few will work.  Exiting X fixes this problem.
It's happened so infrequently that I've been hesitant to report it.

>Unfortunately, I'm always at home and can't just telnet in to check this
>out.  Didn't this happen before, where the X server would go nuts and just keep
>on taking up processor time?  I am using the binaries from ftp.laas.fr with the
>aperture lkm driver.  If anyone could suggest anything for me to look at to
>try to diagnose this thing, it would be most appreciated.

I doubt it's the problem, but you might try running without the aperture
driver; you don't need it if you don't run in secure mode (the man page
for init explains how to turn off secure mode).

--Ken