Subject: NetBSD for an AT&T 3B2??

From: Dave Burgess <[email-masked]>

I bought one of these at a DRMO sale today, and it appears to work.

Is there any support for it in NetBSD yet?  Since it is kind of 68000
sort of thing (with 1G of hard drive and 64Meg of memory) I thought it
might make a nice little printer server ;-)

Just today's silly question.

I appreciate your time.

---

From: "Charles M. Hannum" <[email-masked]>

Is there any support for it in NetBSD yet?

Not that I know of.

   Since it is kind of 68000 sort of thing [...]

No; the 3B*1* is a 68000-based machine.  The 3B2 series uses we32k
(not to be confused with ns32k) series CPUs.

It's been a long time since I used one.

---

From: Joe Ammond <[email-masked]>

According to Joe Ammond:

[ I usually don't reply to my own messages, but I have a clarification to
  the previous message.]

> As far as I am aware of, the 3B2 series are all based on the we32k series
> of processors, not the 68000, so a port wouldn't be as easy.

After thinking for a while, I remembered that AT&T did manufacture 2
models of the 3B2 with MIPS R3000A processors in them, the 3B2/1050 R3
and the 3B2/1100 R3.  I've never seen one, but I understand that SVR4
was released for them.

If you've got one of them, then porting would be a little easier, since
NetBSD understands the MIPS architecture.

ja.
-- 
Joe Ammond, Geek                                            [email-masked]

---

From: John Nemeth <[email-masked]> "NetBSD for an AT&T 3B2??" (Aug 31, 5:53pm)

On Aug 31,  5:53pm, Dave Burgess wrote:
} Subject: NetBSD for an AT&T 3B2??
} I bought one of these at a DRMO sale today, and it appears to work.

     I have a 3B2/400 currently sitting in a corner on it's side.  If
the owner doesn't tell me what to do with it pretty soon, I'll
probably claim it.

} Is there any support for it in NetBSD yet?  Since it is kind of 68000

     I doubt it, but this would be really nice.  Mine currently has
SVR2 on it.  I can get SVR3.2, and apparently SVR4 is available ($$$).
It uses a Weitek processor of some sort (I don't feel like completely
ripping it apart at this moment), not any kind of Motorola processor.

} sort of thing (with 1G of hard drive and 64Meg of memory) I thought it

     What model do you have?  The 400, which is one of the biggest
models, only supports four megs.  The one I have has two 70M MFM HD's
in it, but you can get SCSI controllers for it.

} might make a nice little printer server ;-)

     That's a h*ll of a printer server.  I'd hate to see the stuff you
print.  :-)

}-- End of excerpt from Dave Burgess

---

From: Joe Ammond <[email-masked]>

There is support for the we32k series in gcc, so can compiler could be
built.  I don't know how hard the hardware info would be to get, tho.

> Just today's silly question.

I'd be interested in helping with a port, since I've got a 3B2/1000-80 sitting
in a closet.  I hate it when good hardware sits lonely and unused.

ja.

---

From: Chief Anarchic Officer <[email-masked]>

Joe Ammond wrote:
>...since NetBSD understands the MIPS architecture.

Really?  Cool!  Does this mean we can expect a port to the SGI platforms
sometime?

--
 _______Wizardry is dead._____ _____WHO: Greywolf (my nameplate even says so)
/ ___\ _ \ __\ V / \  / /__ \| | __/WHAT: UNIX System Mangler...er, Admin
\ \| |   < _| ` ' \ '` / \/ /|_| _/ WHERE: Autodesk, Inc.  3 Harbor Dr.
 \___|_|\_\__\|_|  \/\/ \__/___/_|  Sausalito, CA 94965 (415) 332-2344 x4219
	see also: [email-masked]