Subject: sun-lamp CVS commits, -O3 on libkern

From: [email-masked] (Rob Healey)

Forwarded message:
> deraadt
> Thu Sep 15 18:27:59 PDT 1994
> Update of /b/source/CVS/src/sys/lib/libkern
> In directory sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu:/c/users/deraadt/norm/src/sys/lib/libkern
> 
> Modified Files:
> 	Makefile 
> Log Message:
> compile -O3
> 
	I'm I safe in assuming this particular change was fully tested on
	ALL architectures before going in? I ask because I know the gcc 2.5
	has a nasty talent to wack up m68k code generation at higher levels
	of optimization. Since m68k got royally burned in the ptrace()
	stuff it would be nice to verify changes on this order on all
	major architectures, sparc, m68k, mips and x86.

		-Rob

---

From: "Charles M. Hannum" <[email-masked]>

I'm I safe in assuming this particular change was fully tested on
	   ALL architectures before going in?

I've been running exclusively with `-O6' (which no longer does
anything different from `-O3') on m68k and i386 for over two years
now.  I assume Theo tested it on the SPARC.  That leaves only MIPS and
ns32k.

I *did* have to fix some m68k-related bugs in GCC, but it seems to
work okay now.

---

From: [email-masked]

>	major architectures, sparc, m68k, mips and x86.

Well, unless gcc gets upgraded to 2.6.0, anything above -O2 is meaningless
anyways. -O2 and higher before 2.6.0 meant the same thing. gcc 2.6.0
defined -O3 to include -finline-functions now however. This was 
probably a good idea for them to wait till then anyways since I've had
code break hard with inline stuff before that version....

James