Subject: Serial problem and NMI problem

From: Edward Elhauge <[email-masked]>

I have two problems that I hope someone in this group might have insight
into.

1) Seems to be a software problem with the NetBSD-current kernel that I got
from iastate.edu dated 94-08-21. Using this kernel the serial ports do not
work. When I try to tip out on them I get the message:
	link down

I have another disk loaded with NetBSD-0.9 and when I hook it up to the same
box the serial ports work fine. Which would indicate a software problem to
me.

The symptoms are the same using my own linked kernels and with netbsd-aha
out of the box.

2) The other problem is more hardware oriented. I can run my News (a 486DX)
for weeks if I load it with 8MB of memory. But if I put 16MB in the same box
I get the error messages:
	NMI port 60 b0, port 70 ff
This happens both under NetBSD-current and NetBSD-0.9.

I've tested the memory with the full suite of memory tests in QAFE and no
errors are reported. But I guess there might be a lot less interrupt activity
when QAFE is testing than when Unix is running. Anyone know how to fix this.
My little 386SX box works fine with 16MB in it.
--
  Edward Elhauge  |  "`This Snow Crash thing
 Lever Industries |   -- is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?'
   San Francisco  |   Juanita shrugs. `What's the difference?'"
   [email-masked]   |              -- Neal Stephenson "Snow Crash"