Subject: Help me! Ethernet vs Slip!

From: [email-masked] (Peter Seebach)

Okay, so here's my problem:
The machine you see this message coming from (solutions.solon.com) is
supposed to be net address 192.129.84.3, as well as 199.199.120.161.  The
192.129.84.x addresses are my class C license.
My home machine (taniemarie.solon.com) is 192.129.84.133.  My other home
machines are connected by ethernet as 192.129.84.42 and 192.129.84.69.

So, here's my problem:
If I connect slip from xxx.133 to xxx.3, I can't talk to the remote machine.
Why?  Because everything assumes the slip interface is irrelevant, after all,
we have a local ethernet card which talks to 192.129.84.*.

How do I configure things so that two hosts are reached through ethernet,
say, and at least one is reached through slip, even though they're in the
same network?  Help!

-seebs

---

From: [email-masked] (Niklas Hallqvist)

>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Seebach <[email-masked]> writes:

Peter> Okay, so here's my problem: The machine you see this message
Peter> coming from (solutions.solon.com) is supposed to be net address
Peter> 192.129.84.3, as well as 199.199.120.161.  The 192.129.84.x
Peter> addresses are my class C license.  My home machine
Peter> (taniemarie.solon.com) is 192.129.84.133.  My other home
Peter> machines are connected by ethernet as 192.129.84.42 and
Peter> 192.129.84.69.

Peter> So, here's my problem: If I connect slip from xxx.133 to xxx.3,
Peter> I can't talk to the remote machine.  Why?  Because everything
Peter> assumes the slip interface is irrelevant, after all, we have a
Peter> local ethernet card which talks to 192.129.84.*.

Peter> How do I configure things so that two hosts are reached through
Peter> ethernet, say, and at least one is reached through slip, even
Peter> though they're in the same network?  Help!

I'm not a net-maintenance guru, but my impression of how to solve
this is:

You'll have to divide your network into two (or more) subnetworks.
Suppose you want to divide it into two subnets then your netmask
becomes 0xffffff80 instead of 0xffffff00.  After this division the
host numbers available to your first subnet will have to be in the
1-126 range and in the other: 129-254.  Make sure your different
ifconfig commands matches your netnumbers.  Then make route commands
on your other machines.

route add -net 192.129.84.128 192.129.84.3

Looking through the route man page, I see that maybe you don't have
to divide your net.  The -interface option seems to do something
reasonable.  Just choose a fictive network number for the SLIP
link.

It might be worth a try, test it.  Good Luck!

Niklas

---

From: William J Coldwell <[email-masked]>

icecube:
	ether: 199.2.115.1 -> cryonet (199.2.115.x : my class C)
	slip: 199.2.100.12 -> world

cryo:
	ether: 199.2.115.2

warp:
	ether 199.2.115.13

icecube is the slip link to the world, and I want everything to go through  
it, so I run routed on it (as well as named, but that is an excersize that I  
will leave for another message, should you need it).

"routed -s" is in my rc.local on icecube.

I want warp and cryo to use icecube as their default router, and since warp  
is a NetBSD/Amiga setup, I'll explain how I do that.

In your /etc/netstart file, there are flags for routed, "routed_flags=-q" is  
what I have set.

I created a /etc/mygate file with "icecube" in it, which the rc|netstart  
files use to attach the default route.

/etc/hosts should have all of your machines in it, on all of your machines.
199.2.115.1	icecube.cryogenic.com	icecube
199.2.115.2	cryo.cryogenic.com	cryo
199.2.115.13	warp.cryogenic.com	warp
...

/etc/defaultdomain should have your domain name without the leading period.   
Mine is "cryogenic.com"

I have a /etc/hostname.le0 file since I have an A2065 in warp, so it contains
inet	warp	0xFFFFFF00	199.2.115.255	up

Oh, /etc/myname has "warp.cryogenic.com" in it.

My /etc/resolv.conf has my Domain Name Server for my domain in it.  Since I  
run named on icecube, it's my host.  Most people use other sites (usually  
provided by your Internet Service Provider, or university that you are  
connected to).  In my case, it holds:
nameserver 199.2.115.1
cryogenic.com
It's best to use IP#'s for your nameserver, for speed, and the fact that  
you'd have to have your nameserver in your /etc/hosts files, which is a  
nuicense to look up (for some people).

I do believe the above contains more than you wanted to know about how to get  
your NetBSD machine using a SLIP link.  Should you be using your NetBSD as  
your slip link, you will also need to configure the SLIP portion, which I  
believe you already have done.  The most important part is to make sure that  
you run routed so that the link addresses will be broadcasted.

icecube.cryogenic.com> netstat -rn
Routing tables
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use  Interface
127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1          UH          2     2571  lo0
199.2.100.12     127.0.0.1          UH          0        3  lo0    <- Slip
default          199.2.96.35        UG          3   546621  slip0  <- default
199.2.115        199.2.115.1        U          10   692136  en0    <- Ether

Good luck.  If you need more help, send me your output from the above files,  
and a netstat -rn listing.

Cheers!

(cc'ed to the mailing list for those who might want to know too)

--
 William J. Coldwell - [email-masked] - Cryogenic Software

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Illenseer) "Re: Help me! Ethernet vs Slip!" (Sep 20, 4:40am)

On Sep 20,  4:40am, William J Coldwell wrote:
[...]

> 199.2.115        199.2.115.1        U          10   692136  en0    <- Ether

 Do you have A2065 or Hydra-ethernet then? Just curious.

 Thanks for providing this info, looks interesting, and i will try to
set this up for PPP, too. One last question, is 199.2.115.0 known to
your provider and does he routes the packets correctly to you?

-- 
Markus Illenseer