Subject: Re: /opt (NOT!)

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]>

>     Only one question: Most programs demand hard-coded paths, e.g. Emacs. How does
>     one arrange to install such programs in any directory? The only thing I can
>     imagine is to add an additional symlink (e.g. when /opt is hardcoded and you
>     want to install in /usr/local, ln -s /usr/local /opt).
> 
> Funny, I've done the inverse on my Solaris system since I prefer using /opt
> since it's a shorter pathname prefix. :-)

Me too, but I wasn't able to convince the folks here on this list of
that nice fact. :-)

> Btw, where are the hard-coded pathname dependencies in Emacs that can't be
> overridden with Lisp and/or environment variables (assuming Lisp packages
> follow their conventions)?  I can't think of any offhand but I'd like to
> know of any.

Sorry, I don't know the internals of Emacs, I just now it breaks if
you install it somewhere else. And AFAIK that's the same case with gcc
and most probably other software. I know of fvwm who has the path to
its system.fvwm really hardcoded (compiled in).

How can one handle that? Change the whole source? Compile single
modules when installing packages?

Hubert

=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] == IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================