Subject: Re: /opt (NOT!)

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "Re: /opt (NOT!)" (Sep 9, 11:59pm)

> 	I agree with Ty, we should adopt the FreeBSD pkg_* system and
> 	then at install time we can decide where we like the package
> 	to be; /usr/local? /opt? /foo? /fork_svr4? Then all the BSD
> 	systems can be radically different from each other, in the TRUE
> 	BSD tradition, and it won't matter!
>
> 	Everybody happy?

Sounds great. :-)

Only one question: Most programs demand hard-coded paths, e.g. Emacs. How does
one arrange to install such programs in any directory? The only thing I can
imagine is to add an additional symlink (e.g. when /opt is hardcoded and you
want to install in /usr/local, ln -s /usr/local /opt).

Hubert

-- 
=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] == IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================