Subject: Pcvt support in NetBSD-current

From: Brian Moore <[email-masked]>

Well, since X is broken on my machine I tried to get pcvt compiled into the
kernel.  Everything seemed to be going fine ( rebuilt the kernel, installed in
and rebooted ).  First when I rebooted the kernel probe messages were all
outlined in red ( after looking in the source, and seeing this defined in there
for kernel messages, it seems that the stuff is working ).  But when the login
prompt comes up on the console the keyboard is dead.  No matter what I type
nothing comes up on the screen.  Now I have a Gateway 2K 486 with the Anykey
keyboard ( JX-30 motherboard ).  Is this just an artifact from the flaky
keyboard chips on the motherboard or should this work for my machine?  Anybody
else get pcvt working on their Gateway2K ( mine is from 3/93 ).

Thanks for any info,
Brian Moore
[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Moore <[email-masked]>

Well, after checking into it again last night.  I tried to run the kernel with
pcvt installed in it, but this time do the old 'hit the enter key like mad'
during the kernel probe device stage.  And what do you know, it works great!
Not only does it work great, but the problem with X losing the keyboard and a
process ( most likely the X server ) going crazy and steadily increasing the
load is gone away.  Damn I hate this Gateway 2K keyboard controller!  Can
anybody help me figure out what changes were done to the pccons driver to allow
the waked out Gateway keyboard controller to work?  The fixes for this have
been in the code for a while, probably sometime around last October or
November.  Should I be taking directly to Hellmuth about this?

Thanks,
--Brian