Subject: XamigaMono Server for R6

From: [email-masked] (Bernd Ernesti)

Hello,

I'm sorry that I made an mistake for the R6 server on Regensburg.
I forget to set the setuid and owner root for the the server, so
you get problems when you want to use it unter non-root.
Thanks to Hubert Feyrer who told me that.

Bernd

---

From: Markus Landgraf <[email-masked]>

>>>>> "Bernd" == Bernd Ernesti <[email-masked]> writes:

    Bernd> Hello, I'm sorry that I made an mistake for the R6 server
    Bernd> on Regensburg.  I forget to set the setuid and owner root
    Bernd> for the the server, so you get problems when you want to
    Bernd> use it unter non-root.  Thanks to Hubert Feyrer who told me
    Bernd> that.

BTW, did you install the patch 4 of X11R6 on the server ?

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Landi#2
[email-masked]
"The only time when I'm easy is when I'm killed by death"
"If You got the power, that don't mean You got the right"
                                                          I. Kilmister
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Bernd Ernesti)

>BTW, did you install the patch 4 of X11R6 on the server ?

Sorry, no time till yet to do that, but I have some time at the
begining of next week.

Bernd

---

From: [email-masked]

[sorry for not replying on the initial article]

> >    Bernd> use it unter non-root.  Thanks to Hubert Feyrer who told me

Why ON EARTH would you want a huge program such as the Xserver to run
as root?? Sounds almost worse than sendmail :-) Seriously, what functionality
doesn't work if the server isn't run as root? I'm curious because I'm building
a (retina) R6 server myself, and haven't so far faced ANY problems running
it as a normal user.

-Markus
-- 
EUnet Switzerland   Tel:     +41 1 291 45 80	Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35    Hotline: +41 1 291 45 60	[email-masked]
CH-8004 Zuerich	    Fax:     +41 1 291 46 42	S=mw;P=EUnet;A=EUnet;C=CH
>Solaris 2 is not an upgrade from Solaris 1. They just want you to THINK it is.

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Heffernan)

> a (retina) R6 server myself, and haven't so far faced ANY problems running

I would bet that the problem is with permissions on /dev/mouse* and
/dev/kbd.  I don't know the the "right" thing to do is, but I just
made them mode 0666.  I note that one of our Solbournes here does
the same thing, so that's good enough for me:

(cider:/users/ahh/sys.102)$ ls -ld /dev/kbd
crw-rw-rw-  1 root      29,   0 Feb  9  1993 /dev/kbd
(cider:/users/ahh/sys.102)$ ls -ld /dev/mouse*
crw-rw-rw-  1 root      13,   0 Feb  9  1993 /dev/mouse
crw-rw-rw-  1 root      13,   1 Feb  9  1993 /dev/mouse1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root      13,   2 Feb  9  1993 /dev/mouse2
crw-rw-rw-  1 root      13,   3 Feb  9  1993 /dev/mouse3