Subject: Re: PPP problems...

From: Tim Newsham <[email-masked]>

> 
> 
> Has anybody had any luck connecting an Amiga NetBSD machine to a
> routing via ppp?  Does pppd on the Amiga use rts/cts?  Any helpful
> hints?

yes.  I've used PPP and it works.  I've had problems before but
those were due to old kernel w/ bugs.  What you want to do is
run with the 'defaultroute' option so that it sets up a default
route as soon as it connects.  That is.. assuming the ppp link
is your only (or your default) route to the internet.  If you wish 
to use hardware flow control:
 
       crtscts
              Use hardware flow control (i.e. RTS/CTS) to control
              the flow of data on the serial port.

You can put all your ppp options in a single file '/etc/ppp/options'
which gets read automatically when you run pppd.  This means
you dont have to put all the options on the command line each
time.  Mine looks like:

  defaultroute crtscts /dev/tty00 19200

niklas looked through the serial routines and said that some
of the hardware flow control stuff wasnt being handled properly
and made patches for it.  I think he said that the amiga hardware
doesnt do it so you have to do it yourself.  At any rate I'm
not sure if thats integrated into -current yet.  Maybe you
dont have flow control in your kernel.

> L. Todd Masco  | "Which part of 'shall not be abridged' didn't
> [email-masked]  |   you understand?"