Subject: Help request on kerberos

From: "John C. Hayward" <[email-masked]>

Dear NetBSDers,
   I have a lab of 12 PC's set up running NetBSD 1.0_Beta.  I would like to
user kerberos for having distributed passwords.  There apears in the /etc/rc
and /etc/netstart some facility for enabeling a kerberos server, yet for
some reason I do not have the kerberos program (presumably in /sbin or
/usr/sbin.
   Can someone point me to where I should look for the source and any 
documentation on getting kerberos up and running in this setting?
   Thanks in advance,
johnh...

---

From: Mark Gooderum <[email-masked]>

Funny you should ask...

The NetBSD support for kerberos has the framework for starting the servers
and the client side support for things like login, passwd, ftp, etc.

To build the servers you have to fetch the kerberos dist from somewhere
else.  I'm not really sure why the Kerberos dist was dropped from the
NetBSD tree, it might be a combination of size, complexity, and some
DES export issues, I really don't know.

Anyway, I just fetched the FreeBSD kerberosIV tree about a week ago and
just built the servers last night.  I had to fix a few things including
hunting down one magic missing DES file, some Makefile differences, and
some FreeBSD/NetBSD install compatibility issues (NetBSD install won't
take -c and -d, FreeBSD does).  I've got the servers all built and
the libs built including shared versions.

Now I've got to get it configured (to see if it really works) and fix
a couple of minor build/Makefile problems.  Once this is done, I'll make
the whole thing available for anonymous ftp (my home network, Good.com,
will be full time on the net by the end of the week...).

Unless you're in a big hurry, wait a week or so and hopefully I'll have it
working.

-Mark

---

From: Mark Gooderum <[email-masked]>

> Errr, the NetBSD install definately takes -c & -d; this is under 1.0 BETA, so
> I don't know about 0.9, but I am pretty sure the 0.9 install knew about -c.
> 
> --Ken

Not quite...NetBSD install takes -c **OR** -d, it doesn't take -c **AND** -d.

Look in xinstall.c...there is a specific check that denies both these flags
being set at the same time...

The fix would probably be easy, but I haven't bothered.  In NetBSD you just
do a install -d followed by an install -c. 

But the FreeBSD kerberosIV tree has other problems, primiary in that
it's incomplete, no kadmind and other fun bits...so I'm starting over with
the Cygnus Kerberos dist (basically the MIT dist cleaned up for better
portability and some other bits tossed in).

But for "install -d -c",
If it should work, it doesn't and it's a bug...but the man page and the
code seem to indicate that they don't and shouldn't work togather.

-Mark