Subject: /etc/rc.* (was: Re: /opt vs. /usr/local)

From: Hubert Feyrer <[email-masked]> "Re: /opt vs. /usr/local" (Sep 5, 5:32am) <Pine.SUN.3.90.940905032734.14064E-100000@xochi> <[email-masked]>

Yo, to start (another) religious war:

>  the other example I gave, rc.local vs. /etc/rc.*.  In that case,
>  I think that /etc/rc.* is clearly better, and keeping to one
>  initialization script is just plain dumb.

I certainly agree with that. Are there any plans undergoing for implementing
init-levels into NetBSD? Having multiple startup-shutdown-scripts would be fine
to have, even if difficult to understand at first.

I had to shutdown NFS-server-processes on a Solaris-machine today, and it was
nothing but executing one single script that does nothing but that. I love
it!:)

Hubert

-- 
=============== Hubert Feyrer ============================================
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg,  Tel. 0941/701788
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet: [email-masked] == IRC: hubertf
==========================================================================
    Click <A HREF="http://dusk.rz.uni-regensburg.de/~hubert">here.</A>
                           (soon to be back!:-)