Subject: How can I login as root from remote?

From: [email-masked] (Reinhard Schu)

The subject says it. Which file do I have to edit to be available to
login as root from remote. If I try to, NetBSD says: "ROOT login refused from
this terminal" (ttyp0).

Any hints?

Beste Gruesse,
Best Regards,
Reinhard Schu

-----------------------------------------------------  UNIVERSITAS  -
-  UNIVERSITAET DES SAARLANDES  ---       -----------     |\ /|     -
-------------------------------------       ---------   |||* *|||   -
-  Reinhard Schu                    ---       -------   ||| V |||   -
-  Lehrstuhl Prof. Ruessmann          ---       -----   |||   |||   -
-   Tel.: +49-681-3101                  ---       ---   |/|___|\|   -
-  Fachschaft Jura                        ---       -     +   +     -
-   Tel.: +49-681-4121                      ---        SARAVIENSIS  -
---------------------------------------------------------------------

E-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Charles Ewen MacMillan <[email-masked]>

On Tue, 13 Sep 1994, Reinhard Schu wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 10:38:58 +0200
> From: Reinhard Schu <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: How can I login as root from remote?
> 

 Change the line to:

 ttyp0 none        network off secure

 This is inadvisable on an internet connected host however.

Charles Ewen MacMillan  | Tezcat.COM - Wicker Park 
  <[email-masked]>    | Offering Internet Access 
Modem: 312-850-0112/0117| Via Interactive UNIX to 
Voice: 312-850-0181     |    the Chicago Area.
WWW: http://tezcat.com/ | Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "Michael K. Sanders" <[email-masked]>

>login as root from remote. If I try to, NetBSD says: "ROOT login refused from

IF you really want to do this, you should edit /etc/gettytab and mark
ttyp0 (or whatever) as secure. However, for obvious security reasons, you
would be better off disallowing root logins and using su.

>Reinhard Schu

- Mike

-- 
    _		       					  _
 _ //	  Michael K. Sanders -- ([email-masked])     _ //
 \X/						       \X/ 

Bacchus, n.:
	A convenient deity invented by the ancients as an excuse for
getting drunk.
		-- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"